Thread: Slow Seamonkey startup with default desktop launcher ("Starting.." background window)

Hybrid View

Beans

Slow Seamonkey startup with default desktop launcher ("Starting.." background window)

Installed seamonkey-mozilla-build_2.13.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb into Debian from the Ubuntuzilla repository. Ran "Mozilla Build of Seamonkey" from Applications menu.

Two new window titles appeared on taskbar: "Seamonkey" and "Starting Mozilla Build of Seamonkey"
    (screenshot). First is an empty navigator window, second is not switchable and has no a window frame.
    Desktop became busy (watches in mouse cursor while over desktop/taskbar).
    After ~15 seconds annoying not-a-window title disappeared from the taskbar and mouse cursor got normal.

Some details:

* Reproduced: always when i start Seamonkey from the Applications menu.
    * I have some Seamonkey windows opened (in other desktops).
    * I have the "Restore session on startup" feature turned on, and a home page for new windows. But launcher opens blank navigator.
    * Launcher menu item dragged to the Gnome panel have the same behavior.
    * Copied panel icon became normal after dummy command edition (added+deleted space). The command is "seamonkey %u".
    * Just copied desktop icon has no panel2.d config file.
    * Edited desktop icon has config file ~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/seamonkey.desktop:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Mozilla Build of Seamonkey
    GenericName=Internet Suite
    Comment=Web Browser, Email/News Client, HTML Editor, IRC Client
    Exec=seamonkey %u
    Icon=seamonkey-mozilla-build
    Terminal=false
    X-MultipleArgs=false
    StartupWMClass=SeaMonkey
    Type=Application
    Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Email;WebDevelopment ;IRCClient;
    Icon[en_US]=seamonkey-mozilla-build
    Name[en_US]=Mozilla Build of Seamonkey
    Comment[en_US]=Web Browser, Email/News Client, HTML Editor, IRC Client

* Original menu item file /usr/share/applications/seamonkey-mozilla-build.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Mozilla Build of Seamonkey
    GenericName=Internet Suite
    Comment=Web Browser, Email/News Client, HTML Editor, IRC Client
    Exec=seamonkey %u
    Icon=seamonkey-mozilla-build
    Terminal=false
    X-MultipleArgs=false
    StartupNotify=true
    StartupWMClass=SeaMonkey
    Type=Application
    Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Email;WebDevelopment ;IRCClient;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Slow Seamonkey startup with default desktop launcher ("Starting.." background win

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed report.

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this behavior here (running xubuntu 64bit), and I really don't know what is causing the startup delay you're describing. Maybe try terminating your already-running session, and see if the behavior persists?

Also, not sure why you mention editing the launcher file - does that fix your problem?

Beans

Re: Slow Seamonkey startup with default desktop launcher ("Starting.." background win

Thanks for reply.

The problem is rather old (several months); there were some reboots and updates after it was discovered.

Could you please compare your version of seamonkey-mozilla-build.desktop (or firefox-) with mine? May be I have an unstable mix of previous installations, upgrades and migrations.

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    Also, not sure why you mention editing the launcher file - does that fix your problem?
    Yes, that's the strange thing: then i force .desktop file to be created on the panel (with the same params as the menu one) the problem disappears.

Beans

Re: Slow Seamonkey startup with default desktop launcher

Here it is: when i add the original (from menu .desktop file) param StartupNotify=true to the panel file, Seamonkey starts poorly. When i remove it (e.g. by rewriting panel .desktop file in GUI) start success immediately.

I have a lot of other menu and panel items with Startup Notification as well as most menu items: gedit, gcalctool, meld etc. They start a way faster but with flicking "Starting gedit" window too (for less than a second). I've checked the gentoo with GNOME2: it starts applications with StartupNotify=true with the same lag.

So the problem is somewhere between Seamonkey and GNOME2. I think the XFCE desktop of Xubuntu can't reproduce a GNOME2-specific bug. Maybe MATE can.

Beans
    Distro

Hi
    Ah, well it could be that the official mozilla 64bit build is configured without the --enable-startup-notification option... in which case maybe that's why when you set StartupNotify=true, it doesn't play nice.

StartupNotify appears essentially pretty useless. Literally the only function it appears to have is to "turn on the busy cursor and show the 'starting $thing' non-window", (http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...t/ar01s05.html). I just tried both =true and =false here on my system, and did not see any difference, so there's probably no harm in removing the StartupNotify=true line from the default .desktop file.

That said, i'll ask on mozilla irc and see if i can come up with any useful "expert opinion"

Beans
    Distro

I checked in about:buildconfig, as recommended on irc, and indeed the mozilla seamonkey build doesn't include the '--enable-startup-notification' option. So... we should just remove that line from the .desktop file. Never saw it cause trouble before, and it's been like this for a while. Either something in gnome changed, or something in seamonkey...