Thread: Have you guys installed Ubuntu Gnome Remix?

Beans

Have you guys installed Ubuntu Gnome Remix?

I installed Gnome shell in Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu, just to check how it goes. I like Gnome-shell. I try Unity from time to time, and hope I might get used to it, but with all kinds of Gnome shell extensions, I might not.

Anyway, after all the experiments I downloaded Ubuntu Gnome Remix and installed it. Gnome's Epiphany works quickly, but somethings are missing, so installed Firefox after few hours learning "Web" browser. It is pretty quick. Firefox is also pretty quick.

Have you guys installed it? What are your experiences? I am getting surprised all the time with Gnome-shell and Ubuntu base.

Attaching a screenshot.

I'd install Unity to see how it works with this Remix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Have you guys installed Ubuntu Gnome Remix?

Beans

Oh, I couldn't wait and installed Unity through Synaptic. I clicked only Unity and it installed the necessary dependencies. I didn't install Ubuntu-desktop. It'd be a Gnome desktop first and Unity second, log in log out way.

Here is the screenshot

I did this with Lubuntu and Ubuntu Studio too, installing Gnome-shell and then Unity. I wonder, whether there is a need to download and install Ubuntu (the vanilla one)?

The Ubuntu Gnome Remix is snappier.

If anyone of you done this, I'd like to know your experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've found that combining the two creates a bit of a mess:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12318296

But I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to modifications. I prefer to modify as little as possible, and where ever possible I prefer modifying settings rather than installing and/or removing packages.

As far as "Ubuntu Gnome Remix is snappier" I suspect that's more due to the window manager than the desktop environment itself.

Gnome shell uses Mutter + Clutter.

Gnome classic (no effects) uses Metacity.

Ubuntu/Unity uses Compiz and beginning with 12.10 it dropped a "fallback" to Unity-2D which used Metacity in favor of using Compiz + llvmpipe.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been trying it in on of my two distro-hop partitions.

The extensions still haven't caught up with 3.6. Without a number of extensions, I continue to find Gnome-Shell unusable. Right about the time all the extensions catch up, they'll release 3.8 and I'll be right back to square one. It's a mess and it's too bad because with enough extensions thrown at it, I actually find Gnome-Shell preferable and more polished than something like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I love it on my htpc.

Torn between it and xfce on my primary laptop however.

Beans

I was using it a bit through 12.10 development and then installed it fresh on release.

Generally very impressed with it. Much snappier than unity but not quite as snappy as kororaa (fedora) with shell 3.4.

I am going to be using both shell remix and kororaa up until the fedora 18 release then decide which I prefer.
    Though both are excellent...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also like GNOME Shell, but I personally dislike it on Ubuntu. Dunno why.
    I love Fedora with GNOME Shell, but I hate Fedora with KDE. Although, I love Ubuntu with KDE (Kubuntu). I don't really don't know why, but using GNOME Shell on Ubuntu makes me feel... strange?
    ~comecon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by COMECON View Post
    I also like GNOME Shell, but I personally dislike it on Ubuntu. Dunno why.
    I love Fedora with GNOME Shell, but I hate Fedora with KDE. Although, I love Ubuntu with KDE (Kubuntu). I don't really don't know why, but using GNOME Shell on Ubuntu makes me feel... strange?
    ~comecon
    Funnily enough, I also hated KDE on Fedora but loved Kubuntu (at the time).

But with gnome 3 it feels almost the same to me on both, even though I am using different versions (of shell).

In fact it's only really when I mess with system stuff that I really see a bigger difference.

Beans

I installed Unity in Gnome Remix on a whim, just to try it out. Unity works snappier in this. I enabled hot corners, so any need to use the Unity launcher is minimal, and few letters of just one letter would bring out the app or the document I need, so rarely use that launcher--I can say I don't use it at all. I use the dash instead.

With Unity, I have to go to a hot corner to get at dash, but with Gnome, I can use the Activities button or have an extension, Workspace bar, in the middle of the top panel and get into dash. Same work, one letter or few letters. Other than that, in Gnome I can have an extension, Dock on the right side, which won't just jump like the Unity launcher to hold my favourites and the opened apps. It can minimize, maximize too. To maximize in Unity you have to do too many moves, at least two.

I tried Gnome-shell with Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu. The best is Gnome-shell with Lubuntu, the next good one is this Gnome Remix, then Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu, and the last is Ubuntu.

If I am to use dash, I prefer Gnome-shell, with this additional Unity overlay. I'd install Nautilus 3.6 anyway. Oh, opening 2 panels is not a problem, you can always open another window. I've already installed Linux kernel 3.6.2, so why not go with the development?

Have a look here; http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/12/gn...n-mockups.html
    That's what Gnome devs are planning.

At first, I was unhappy with not having an extension to autohide the panel, like in Gnome 3.4, but the extensions are growing for Gnome 3.6 and I hear Gnome 3.8 is on the pipeline.

When Ubuntu 13.04 alpha comes around, I'd upgrade to it from here, and keep on upgrading and it would be Gnome-shell, not Unity my default. I'll leave Unity, just to have a look at it from time to time, and I'd upgrade that too. Right now, these two shells are the forward looking ones in Linux world, not Cinnamon, not Mate. There is another overlay, which would grow. That is Cairo Dock.

KDE would go in its way, and is the most eye-candy DE, I've used yet. Kubuntu is pretty, no doubt, and is very easy to use.