Thread: how the .bash_logout works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

how the .bash_logout works

hi
    i recognized that the ~/.bash_logout only works when i log out from a console window. so what is the difference of log out from a GUI and log out from a console window. i tought log out is log out - isn't it
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how the .bash_logout works

I'd say, purely historical reasons. bash mimics behaviour of csh here that had ~/.logout. In the seventies when csh was created, such thing as a GUI login/logout simply didn't exist.

On the other hand, you always can invoke bash with the -l option, or invoke xterm with the -ls option. The shell will then act as a login shell and execute ~/.bash_login on entering the shell and ~/.bash_logout on exiting it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how the .bash_logout works

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    I'd say, purely historical reasons. bash mimics behaviour of csh here that had ~/.logout. In the seventies when csh was created, such thing as a GUI login/logout simply didn't exist.

On the other hand, you always can invoke bash with the -l option, or invoke xterm with the -ls option. The shell will then act as a login shell and execute ~/.bash_login on entering the shell and ~/.bash_logout on exiting it.
    hi
    thanks for reply.
    i know the history. but the GUI manager (here child of lightdm) can recognize the final logout.
    i'll mark this thread closed.
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht