Thread: Rhythmbox could be better

Hybrid View

Beans

Rhythmbox could be better

Well, I don't really have any opinions about what kinda features are better or worse but I wanted to start the thread for Rhythmbox since it is integrated into 12.04 and has been that way for a few of the previous builds using GNOME.

Beans

Re: Rhythmbox could be better

Here is a bug I have been running into since Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
    While I'm listening to a large playlist, or just all my music (mp3) in shuffle repeat mode, the program will stop sound out put all together. Most of the time I can just pause and play to get it at the track it ended up on in silent mode. This screen shot i put in an attachment is of the now new kinda bug that I have gotten; where it stops the track mid song, which is normal, but the one that it gets to doesn't seem to even start it just sits at the broken link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've been having trouble with Rhythmbox for a while.

I recently persuaded my girlfriend to install Ubuntu 12.04 on her PC. When she tries to play an album, she really wants to just drag the file containing all the MP3s/FLACs into RM and start it at track 1 and play one track after another. But like every other horrid media player out there, RM wants to maintain it's own library. Yuck.

We have a library of music on the NAS, arranged into a Artist/Album directory structure. RM will not be told where the top of this directory structure is. It insists upon scanning the local HD for audio files - of which there are many. But if this silly software is going to require a library, why can't it use the same one as every other player I have on the network?

So we eventually end up with all the tracks in the playlist (usually by dragging the album dir into RM - which sucks), and then start playing. RM will invariably get to the end of the first track and stop. Why? The last time around it had a broken track in the playlist and refused to do anything after finishing the first track. My GF just shut the software down in disgust and moved on with her life.

The last three times I tried to use RM, I gave up and used Exaile or even VLC instead. Just so it would behave predictably and sensibly. Does anyone have a recommendation on which media player to use with Ubuntu 12.04? I have done all the hard work (tagging the files, placing the files in a sane dir structure, ensuring the audio HW is functioning, etc) and now I just need the damn thing to play music in the right order.

Shouldn't be that hard, right? :/

EDIT - oops RM is Rhythmbox.....
    Last edited by alawson; October 27th, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: errors
    Andy Lawson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alawson View Post
    I've been having trouble with Rhythmbox for a while.

I recently persuaded my girlfriend to install Ubuntu 12.04 on her PC. When she tries to play an album, she really wants to just drag the file containing all the MP3s/FLACs into RM and start it at track 1 and play one track after another. But like every other horrid media player out there, RM wants to maintain it's own library. Yuck.{snip}..
    Yes!! we do not want our music player grabbing our music library!!

I have settled on the Audacious player, pro tem -- which you will also find in our Software Library . I think you'll find it will be happy to let you drag a few songs or albums into a playlist and run it with scramble|repeat options

I'm kinda spoiled here as I had CDBurnerXP and MusicBee on my Win7 (which is now a secondary resource ) .

The Audacity digitizer works the same on my U-Box as it did on Win7 and gets a 5* rating: easy to get started; rich in features; intuitive from its menus; everything seems to work; excellent documentation.

( Based on the quality in Audacity I determined to try out the Audacious player )

Notes

has anyone figured out how to edit/migrate play lists from Windows7 to U-box ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

IMHO Rhythmbox is better than ever and is improved from the way it was years ago. I use Rhythmbox as a jukebox with over 900 fav tunes loaded on it. Rhythmbox even plays lastFM well. For me Rhythmbox is dedicated to this use.

If I want to play other music files, Movie Player, VLC or Audacious is used so that nothing is messed up in the way Rhythmbox has been set up.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram