Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Suggestions Ubuntu Compatible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Build Suggestions Ubuntu Compatible

Hello family,

Ubuntu forum became my favorite spot, people really down to earth here. Enough with that. I have dell Vostro 200 slim tower duo core, motherboard is gone, and i mean gone like i am not able to start/boot 2 short beeps which supposed to be RAM issues but i tried known working RAMs and still nothing, two short beeps etc. Here is the thing,

1-iI want to build or get a linux compatible motherboard that i can se with this system and upgrade the drivers and RAMs.

2-if 1 is not possible, then i like to get a working compatible linux build system for where i can use buy a case and so on.

Use on dail basis?

I will se this mostly learning go programing, browsing, and playing, school work, no gaming at all whatsoever.

The cost varies, if i am going to keep the vostro case and the dvd driver along the power supply 100-20 but if i will buy the case the dvd driver along the power suppl, like a complete build, maybe 40, money is tight.

Also tell me what your builds are, and how ubuntu is working with that build.

I think im starting to hate all these new computers where they only last couple years and have pre-installed crap.

Thanks,

Mar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Build Suggestions Ubuntu Compatible

I don't know the Vostro, but when you say it is a slim tower, can it take standard sized motherboards or is there a special form factor required?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    I don't know the Vostro, but when you say it is a slim tower, can it take standard sized motherboards or is there a special form factor required?
    it has a g33m02 here is a picture of it? I can take everything out and place them in a case, but if there is a possibilities.

edit-- i think it takes regular motherboard but it is slim like the fan is not too tall as to not clear the coverand so on.
    Last edited by Marthewicked; October 18th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

the slim tower is not really worth unless puttin new motherboard and see how far it goes and so on.

Here is what i came to choose to come close to 400, mabe im over my head here.

cpu.... intel i5 3570k quadcore 3.4 ghz 229.99
    found at microcenter for 189.99 a 40 dollar savings...

cpu cooler........ Antec Kuhler H2O 620 59.99

motherboard .... Asus Maximus V Gene micro atx 199.99

memory .....crucial 4gb ddr-1333 22.36

case ......Antec NSK4482B 83.99

here is the hard art, pretty much the problem i will have with linux

the sound card?

the video card?

the wireless card?

Are there any suggestions on those? Is my set up good, bad, close, any comments really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    mar

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Build Suggestions Ubuntu Compatible

That motherboard seems a bit overkill...
    Have considered an m-itx case, such as the bitfenix prodigy?

It will fit everything, and I mean everything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoly View Post
    That motherboard seems a bit overkill...
    Have considered an m-itx case, such as the bitfenix prodigy?

It will fit everything, and I mean everything.
    Hehe i will think putting my speakers in there. I think what will be an issue are the drivers, i have no idea what is compatible and what is not. I can change the motherboard, this is costly but if the one you say is better i will get that as well.

Beans
    Distro

wait, do you mean actually putting a set of speakers inside of the case itself? That seems a bit strange, but ok.

Some gamer-oriented boards will have problems under linux. It's not that the maximus 5 is bad, just pointless; that money could be spent far better on other components.

As for driver issue's, it's a lot less worry than most people think.

I would recommend MSI for motherboards, they have very good linux support. I've also heard good things about ECS. AVOID GIGABYTE AT ANY COST.

As for graphics, if you don't intend to game (and even if you did) the intergrated GPU on the 3570k will work marvellously in linux.

As for wireless card, TP-Link cards work great.

The Intel onboard sound will work very well, anything from creative is a mess in linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoly View Post
    wait, do you mean actually putting a set of speakers inside of the case itself? That seems a bit strange, but ok.

Some gamer-oriented boards will have problems under linux. It's not that the maximus 5 is bad, just pointless; that money could be spent far better on other components.

As for driver issue's, it's a lot less worry than most people think.

I would recommend MSI for motherboards, they have very good linux support. I've also heard good things about ECS. AVOID GIGABYTE AT ANY COST.

As for graphics, if you don't intend to game (and even if you did) the intergrated GPU on the 3570k will work marvellously in linux.

As for wireless card, TP-Link cards work great.

The Intel onboard sound will work very well, anything from creative is a mess in linux.
    No did not mean to put speakers i was exaggerating the "everything" but i will look for those motherboards. And thanks for the drivers info, now i know what to stay away from and such.

Beans
    Distro

MSI H61M-P31 (G3) vs ECS H77H2-M3(1.0) as for the motherboard
    Not too picky about usb 3.0 now but i dont know about the future, but i can always replace motherboards.

is this video card worth it if i am not really playing games? It is about 109.99 Asus EAH6770 DC SL/2DI/1GD5?

i found this case, Bitenix merc beta (black) good price too. Right now im sitting little ober 500.

edit.....

i take it back, i take it back, the pridogy is siiiiiiiick!!! im so glad i asked for help, thank ou. i saw that case and it is awesome!!

pridogy it is.
    Last edited by Marthewicked; October 19th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Jagoly,

Pridogy for case and i picked this motherboard, 79.99 after 10 rebate

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...el_Motherboard#

I chose the asus video card even though it is costly. I was buying the antect because it had 380 psu and now since im changing that i dont know what power unit to se, somewhere 400-600 and i dont know for sure but over that is mainly for games but i could be wrong.

I think power unit for now and i will use SSD that is not even month old is what i will use for now 300GB and i will see if i can use the optical drive from the vistro 200 if not i will grab a LG optical drive.

This should be interesting cool build actually to think of it.

Damn, i will not sleep now because plan had came together and now i cant go get those parts and put them together.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast