Thread: 12.04 running painfully slow!

Beans

12.04 running painfully slow!

Hi,

I upgraded to 12.04 a couple of days ago and it was running fine.

But this AM I started it up and it's a DOG. It's so slow even the mouse is unresponsive.

There seems to be a lot of disk activity even though the machine is just sitting there.

I did run some updates yesterday but the system was OK after that. Otherwise, I've changed nothing.

And I can't load any applications like System Monitor to try to see what's going on. Or maybe System Monitor will actually load in a day or two. It's really that slow!

What's going on? And what can I do?

I'm desperate.

Thanks,

AB

Beans

Re: 12.04 running painfully slow!

If you can get a terminal or ssh into it, try running 'iotop'. maybe it will give you an idea of whats bogging it down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBooton View Post
    Hi,

I upgraded to 12.04 a couple of days ago and it was running fine.

But this AM I started it up and it's a DOG. It's so slow even the mouse is unresponsive.

There seems to be a lot of disk activity even though the machine is just sitting there.

I did run some updates yesterday but the system was OK after that. Otherwise, I've changed nothing.

And I can't load any applications like System Monitor to try to see what's going on. Or maybe System Monitor will actually load in a day or two. It's really that slow!

What's going on? And what can I do?

I'm desperate.

Thanks,

AB
    system specs?
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBooton View Post
    And I can't load any applications like System Monitor to try to see what's going on.
    AB
    Start a new terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2, login and type "top".

It will give you all processes and loads on the cpu. You can get an idea, and kill the application which slows down your system.

Beans

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I finally gave up! The system was just so bogged down that nothing worked.

top showed almost nothing running over 2 or 3% CPU utilization.

iotop was not available and there was no way to install anything.

I did finally get System Monitor to open and it also showed almost no CPU utilization on the Processes tab BUT the CPU graph on the Resources tab, showed utilization running near and up to 100%. How does that make sense?

Now I've completely re-installed from scratch; losing all my stuff, and things are running fine. Let's hope it stays that way

AB

Beans

Did this problem evr get resolved?

Beans

In a sense. I ended up reinstalling from scratch. It was fine after that.