Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !2.04.1

Beans

!2.04.1

I lost my admin. login and ? need root /then how to change back to my password. anyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: !2.04.1

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thank you, I'll look!
    Last edited by overdrank; October 25th, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: please use default font

Beans

What is my root, unable to get into recovery mode
    Last edited by overdrank; October 25th, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: please use default font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Specifically, which part of Psychocats' tutorial isn't working for you?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

The first step ;( it just won't go into recovery mode! Is their a root password that will give me back my computer ? that's what it feels like...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You'll need to get into grub. I believe you'll need to hold down the shift key during the start up( the period between the bios start screen and when the Ubuntu label/splash appears.) This will give you the grub menu and recovery will be there.
    Of course there is always the possibility that you commented the recovery in the /etc/default/grub configuration file. which would hide the entry in grub. This is something you have to have manually done, though.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You'll need to get into grub. I believe you'll need to hold down the shift key during the start up( the period between the bios start screen and when the Ubuntu label/splash appears.) This will give you the grub menu and recovery will be there.
    Of course there is always the possibility that you commented the recovery in the /etc/default/grub configuration file. which would hide the entry in grub. This is something you have to have manually done, though.
    I did exactly what I was told to do! It just starts up like normal ie: for a guest..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can use your Live CD to recover your root access.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery:
    Lost Password

Here is how you can use the Live CD to change the administrative password on your machine if you have lost/forgot the current password. Please note that you can usually boot into RecoveryMode and run the passwd command directly.

1. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD.
    2. Press Ctrl-Alt-F1
    3. sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
    4. Depending on your machine it could also be sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt. If you created a custom partition layout when installing Ubuntu you have to find your root partition using the fdisk utility. See the section Finding your root partition.
    5. sudo chroot /mnt

You can now use the passwd command to reset a password.
    Note: In the mount command, /dev/hda1 will need to be replaced with the partition where the root of the file system resides.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans

That's just it, I don't have any privilege's now ;(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast