Thread: drivers for ATI RV620 (FirePro 2260)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

drivers for ATI RV620 (FirePro 2260)

I did an upgrade to 12.10 and for the life of me, can not now get the graphics drivers to work properly. I have two screens but the settings only recognise them as a single "laptop" screen.

Also I have no "additional drivers" in the repositories.

This is the graphics card I have.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV620 [FirePro 2260] [1002:95cf]
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:2143]
    Kernel modules: radeon

I have tried installing drivers and still no luck. Any suggestions about how to get additional drivers?

Thanks

J

Beans

Re: drivers for ATI RV620 (FirePro 2260)

I have the exact same problem. The fglrx drivers do not work, with Xorg.log reporting module failed to load "noXfree86DRIExtension" and exiting with error. I finally managed to use, i believe, the open source Radeon drivers but I'm stuck at a "Laptop" display and resolution. Worked perfectly on 12.04. Once again I get burned by upgrading distributions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You actually got burned by AMD/ATI.

That chipset is among those whose driver has now been branched to legacy support. Unfortunately, that driver will not work with X Server 1.13, which Quantal uses.

No chipset prior to Cedar (HD 54xx) is supported by drivers that will work with X Server from here on out. That means HD 2xxx - 4xxx are unsupported by AMD/ATI in any distro using X Server 1.13 or beyond.

AMD's website specifies that the driver for your card (using their search) is version 8.982.8.3, which will work up to Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by QIII; November 9th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, I didn't realized support had been stopped. Guess thats what I get for having such a crap card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wasn't a crap workstation card when you got it, probably.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Actually, it was. This desktop was purchased in February from Dell and despite my request to the contrary, the IT department configured it with this card. Thanks IT.

Beans

Sadly I can confirm that trying to install the driver from AMD will bork your X.

No solution found yet.