Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to speed up unity for an old computer.

Beans

Re: how to speed up unity for an old computer.

You may be attached somewhat to unity but I'm with moparman. Unity is plain slow. Sorry, but it's true. There have been complaints about unity and compiz performance since they came out.

My i3 laptop could play 1080p video just fine under windows 7 but not under unity. Gnome classic is faster but it's not very configurable.

I tried ccsm settings but I just don't like having to **** around with settings that can make the system unstable. It kind of worked but the system felt glitchy afterwards.

I haven't tried lxde but I recently installed xfce over ubuntu 12.04. It's fast. I mean snappy. it's not quite as plug and play but it's also highly configurable. You have drop down application menus and can also set up custom launchers, which I far prefer to having everything on a huge list.

Also, it works better. The dual monitor support actually works properly. In ubuntu and gnome only extended desktop is supported. If you have an external monitor plugged into the laptop and you close the lid to suspend you lose cursor control and have to do a hard shutdown. If there's an answer for that I can't find it. Xfce does not act like this.

I just don't think unity is suitable for old computers, any more than windows vista is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just installed Cairo Dock 3.x it automagically combines with Unity making it more lightweight and faster, the new "Cairo-Unity" session appears on login screen if you reboot, it replaces the Dash with Cairo Dock 3, its faster with more visual effects, the same, or no effects, you can configure it.

Beans

I don't care what interface I use, I just want the search feature that unity has. Where you put the windows key type in what your looking for (File or Program) and takes you right to. I heavily rely on this. So I am open to changing unity as long as I have that feature. As for visuals I don't care... just work fast and don't be choppy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jiggajoe506 View Post
    I don't care what interface I use, I just want the search feature that unity has. Where you put the windows key type in what your looking for (File or Program) and takes you right to. I heavily rely on this. So I am open to changing unity as long as I have that feature. As for visuals I don't care... just work fast and don't be choppy.
    if I recall correctly cairo-dock does have that search thing that unity has. It's been a long time since i used it but I recall it having the search thingy. Good luck
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans

KDE has a similar feature, though the keyboard shortcut is different. I think the new XFCE that comes with Quantal has something similar, but you can also install something like gnome-do, synapse, or kupfer on any desktop to get this kind of feature.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    KDE has a similar feature, though the keyboard shortcut is different. I think the new XFCE that comes with Quantal has something similar, but you can also install something like gnome-do, synapse, or kupfer on any desktop to get this kind of feature.
    Awesome thanks for the help guys. Can you point me in the right direction to correctly installing KDE? I really appreciate all the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think that KDE is a little bit heavy , but you decide .

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-destkop
    is the command to install the KDE desktop in already installed Ubuntu.

If you want a fresh installation the download Kubuntu from here:
    http://www.kubuntu.org/news/12.04-release
    Thanks

Beans

I did A fresh instal of kde last night and man is it snappy but it seems harder to use. Ubuntu seemed more strait forward with printer setup and software center. I think I am going to go back to Ubuntu and run gnome 2D and install one of the apps mentioned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did A fresh instal of kde last night and man is it snappy but it seems harder to use. Ubuntu seemed more strait forward with printer setup and software center. I think I am going to go back to Ubuntu and run gnome 2D and install one of the apps mentioned.
    Give LXDE a try...
    http://lubuntu.net/

Like booting up my desktop here I'm at about 250-300 MB used from 4GB... More like Windows environment.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man
    Running 4 computers all with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

Beans

Couple of things guys...

1. I had to open up the tower of the computer and realized its 4 sticks of DDR2 1GB each.
    2. I decided just to use gnome classic but I do appreciate all the help offered. (I just don't have the time to get use to another atmosphere.)
    3. I am going to be playing around with a lot of the search things you recommended.
    4. Lastly I decided the ubuntu community is the best to be a part of and probably the most patient. Thank you guys!!!! I will mark this as solved.

you guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12