Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SInce upgrade to 12:10 Evolution keeps crashing

Beans

SInce upgrade to 12:10 Evolution keeps crashing

Since upgrade to 12:10 from 12:04 Evolution keeps crashing. I had this issue with 12:04 and fixed it by purging and reinstalling. I followed the same steps, but this time it does not work. I also find an issue with auto-signatures.

I have about 5 accounts I manage in my client. One is my Default. I have set different auto-signatures for each account. When I create a message it adds the correct auto-signature, BUT also adds the default signature too. I have disabled the auto-signature in the Default account and it has stopped happening, but I do not now have an auto-signature in the main account, I have to add it manually.

Any ideas, please?

Beans

Re: SInce upgrade to 12:10 Evolution keeps crashing

I'm running 32 bit Ubuntu and I'm having the same problem. I haven't tried the remove and purge yet bit but give it a go to see what happens.

Beans

I found doing the "purge" process I have - detailed below, did noting. As soon as I opened it up/reinstalled, it just started up with the same configs.

No one is coming in to help either. Poor show by the experts, unless this is in the wrong place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I upgraded the wife's computer to 12.04 a few months ago and she won't go there because Evolution has been totally problematic. Will try the purge and reinstall, but hey devs, just cos Thunderbird is now the default there's no reason to treat Ev like a second class email client. That seems to be what's happened.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I upgraded the wife's computer to 12.04 a few months ago and she won't go there because Evolution has been totally problematic. Will try the purge and reinstall, but hey devs, just cos Thunderbird is now the default there's no reason to treat Ev like a second class email client. That seems to be what's happened.
    Yes, I agree. I'll be honest, although I have used a number of clients on Ubuntu, including Thunderbird, I have to say I do not think any of them match MS Outlook for all its faults, and IF I could get it going on Ubuntu, then that is what I would use, no doubt.

That said of ALL the Ubuntu clients, I still think Evolution is the best, but since the 10:04 upgrade when they changed the way Evolution works, those not building from scratch, but upgrading have huge issues. The diary and contacts issues have been fixed, but the eMail is not good. I think the problems seem to occur with those that rely on eMail a lot and have large "data basses". I run 5 accounts and they are over 2Gb each. It seems to hang on the sync/retrieve messages.

I hope they fix this, and soon, or show me how to remove every trace of Evolution so I can try a re-install from fresh.

Beans

I can confirm the crashes as well. It crashes on both an upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 and on a fresh install.

I notice that before crashing it hangs when downloading mail. I have a substantial number of accounts and a sizeable amount of mails, but so far no clue what causes this.

Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

Beans

I had disabled the global menus and this is when it really went unstable on me - I restored the menus back to default and seems happier but again this is the 32 bit version.
    I do run a 64 bit version of Ubuntu but not a desktop version so can't comment on the stability of Evolution on my other system.

Beans

Seems it is common place. My wife's laptop which was installed from new and is also 64-bit is fine bar the auto signature doubles, i.e. it goes in messages twice, one above the other, which I also get on my machine.

Also note that it hangs when synchronizing... Not all the time, just when it has a number of folders to synchronise. I have to kill it and reboot, which is not good.
    Last edited by Jonners59; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Beans

I have been running bugging and backtrace info...

Commands I used were:
    Start the program under control of gdb:
    Code:
    gdb evolution 2>&1 | tee ~/gdb-evolution.txt

Code:
    (gdb) handle SIG33 pass nostop noprint

Code:
    (gdb) set pagination 0

Code:
    (gdb) run

The program will start. Perform any actions necessary to reproduce the crash. If the program hangs but doesn't crash you can press ctrl+c in gdb while the program is frozen and then continue with the next step.

Retrieve a backtrace:
    Code:
    (gdb) backtrace full

Code:
    (gdb) info registers

Code:
    (gdb) x/16i $pc

Code:
    (gdb) thread apply all backtrace

Code:
    (gdb) quit

Output enclosed....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonners59; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Xubuntu/Ubuntu 64-bit fresh install.... Same problem. Will not start/import the backup from my old 32-bit compu. Keeps on crashing.

To make things worse: Since 12.04 the mail-folders are in a 'new way' stored so importing to Thunderbird is not as easy as it was, or not possible.

I have tried to doing it via the mbox-way, but when saving my 'inbox' as a mbox-file, the file grows and grows and grows..... I stopped the process it of when it was grown to 13GB (!!) and it was only at 4% !!! Help.

I now can think of just one other solution: Install a 32-bit system in my brand new Corei5.... but that is not what I bought it for....

Off-topic solution:
    I switched to Thunderbird.
    This was a hassle too, but with the right pythonscript foud through his site http://askubuntu.com/questions/66969...to-thunderbird I managed to transform the maildirectory to mbox format. Afer some tinkering I managed to get everything in Thnderbird.
    Last edited by t.h.w.; January 17th, 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Off-topic solution
    (Switched to Xubuntu... No Unity for me , thank you...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast