Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.10 won't connect to ethernet

Beans

12.10 won't connect to ethernet

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to linux distributions and I dont know much about the whole linux OS. I've ran a few other distros (Mint, Fedora, Pear Os, and even previous versions of Ubuntu.) However after a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10 I have absolutely no internet connection. Network settings won't even recognize that I have an ethernet cable plugged in. I've searched around the forums before posting to try and find the answer but none of the previous topics seem to be the same as mine. Ethernet works great with no problems on Windows 7. I'm also dual booting 12.10 and Windows 7 as I have a lot of music files, and I'd be a bit scared to completely leave Windows. I'm somewhat noobish when it comes to Ubuntu so if anyone has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!

Also I know everyone will most likely ask me to run a command to see all of my settings and what not, but what's the best way to copy those settings to this thread? I have no internet on ubuntu and I'd rather not have to type them all. Thanks
    Last edited by mcaz5; October 24th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

Re: 12.10 won't connect to ethernet

I just tried setting up wired connection as static ip. That didn't work either, unless i didn't enter something right. Also in network settings, it shows my network as unplugged. On the router both lights are lit up suggesting its connected. I really really would like to use Ubuntu as my main OS but that won't be happening without Internet so any help would be extremely greatful.

Beans

Please can you show us the output of the following command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    You can get to the terminal by clicking on the lens in Unity and typing terminal. If you have any problems accessing the terminal see here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Beans

open a terminal and type

$> ifconfig

You should see a device "eth0".

How do you know you have it set to static ip address? Boot into windows and get the
    ip settings there. (open command prompt and run $> ipconfig /all)

IP address
    subnet mask
    gateway
    dns server

Copy those settings to your eth0 network interface.

You should also confirm what network your home router is using? should be something like 192.168.1.0.

Also, you said that you did a fresh install. During the setup process it should have detected your network card. did it not do that?
    perhaps you skipped network detection or something like that.

Also, you might try to boot a live CD of 12.10 to see if it recognizes your network card.
    Last edited by psychotix; October 24th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psychotix View Post
    open a terminal and type

$> ifconfig

You should see a device "eth0".

How do you know you have it set to static ip address? Boot into windows and get the
    ip settings there. (open command prompt and run $> ipconfig /all)

IP address
    subnet mask
    gateway
    dns server

Copy those settings to your eth0 network interface.

You should also confirm what network your home router is using? should be something like 192.168.1.0.

Also, you said that you did a fresh install. During the setup process it should have detected your network card. did it not do that?
    perhaps you skipped network detection or something like that.

Also, you might try to boot a live CD of 12.10 to see if it recognizes your network card.
    I'm currently at work but I'll get the results of ifconfig as soon as I can(that may be later tonight) When I installed I booted from a USB. Connection was never detected during or before the installation so I installed without connection. I thought maybe the installation had been faulty so I booted back up the USB and it still showed no Internet connection

Beans

best thing to do is find out what network card you have on you computer (via windows) and see if it is compatible with linux.

Beans

Depending on if the above doesn't work, I ran into a similar issue with 12.04 on a system when I installed the OS without an internet connection.

Code:
    sudo dhclient eth0
    That command fixed my ethernet.
    Last edited by iCutsman; October 24th, 2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: More info

Beans

These are the results of ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:cb:4e:8a:f1:c8
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1984 (1.9 KB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:14304 (14.3 KB) TX bytes:14304 (14.3 KB)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iCutsman View Post
    Depending on if the above doesn't work, I ran into a similar issue with 12.04 on a system when I installed the OS without an internet connection.

Code:
    sudo dhclient eth0
    That command fixed my ethernet.
    I tried this and nothing happened after I entered it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psychotix View Post
    best thing to do is find out what network card you have on you computer (via windows) and see if it is compatible with linux.
    My network adapter is Nvidia Nforce 10/100 Mbps. I checked the Ubuntu wiki and it said it was compatible and should be auto-detected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast