Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think...

Windows 8 might drive people to Linux. The metro desktop looks awful. It also looks very difficult and cumbersome to use.

I know I will never use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I think...

Have an acquaintance that is an official beta tester for Microsoft. He took 8 OFF of his everyday personal computer and reverted to 7 .. that was two months ago and he has NOT put it back on even with the updates and patches. This might be another NT or Vista type experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have no experience with NT. So, I will have to take your word for it,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTurner View Post
    I have no experience with NT. So, I will have to take your word for it,
    NT wasn't so bad, it just wasn't really appropriate for common hardware when it first came out. Plus hardly anything ran on it. Trying to install Windows 3.1 software on Windows NT 3.51 was a horrendous experience that drove many people who needed Windows software to work but didn't like having to reboot from a crash every ten minutes to OS/2.

Things got better at NT 4.0 which looked and ran like an incredibly slow Windows 95. It at least ran most software for mainstream windows. Once Windows 2000 came out (NT 5.0 essentially) things were much better and I still believe it was one of their finest operating systems to date.

Windows 2000 got a fancy new window dressing that looked like a My First Windows child's playset which became Windows XP and the rest is miserable history.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think retailers carrying win8 should offer free vouchersfor "windows 8 for dummies" atleast initially. God knows people are gonna need it.

As for me, never in a million years will i use win8 (i'll stick with win7 for as long as humanly possible), -unless win9 turned out to be the same; i tried the Metro preview more than once- do NOT like it. Hopefully there will never ever be an instance, where a PC user didn't have the option of installing his/her favorite linux distro.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro

What makes Windows 8 hard to work with is the new way of Partitioning that really makes things difficult. Just my opinion-

The UEFI System Partition that's on the drive and all the hoops one has to jump thru just to install any Linux distro alongside of it it will be interesting to say the least-

http://www.insydesw.com/
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

-:- Elementary OS Freya on a Quad Core Desktop : CentOS on a Sony Vaio-:-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTurner View Post
    It also looks very difficult and cumbersome to use.

I know I will never use it.
    So you've never used it?

Personally I try not to form an opinion about something like a user interface until I've actually used it. You can't tell how good it is just from screenshots.

Beans

I have Windows 8. I have MSDN so I have had it for a while. Its not that bad. I really like the App Store. I can see it being great for a home PC experience, but not for the actual work environment. I believe the same can be said about Ubuntu... When I use ubuntu, it makes me think of a Windows 8 competitor that just has a really crappy app store. The App store is what will make Windows shine.

Beans
    Distro

If anyone is interested you can download the Windows 8 Release Preview and give it a whirl as it stands now.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/iso

The product key is on that website and you will need it to install Windows 8.

I've tried it out, and I am not a fan of the Metro UI at ALL. I also had to install a third party windows start button application to make the OS usable to me.

-Deuce1912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast