Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No audio in 12.10

Beans

No audio in 12.10

Hey guys,

I did a clean install of 12.10, when I open Sound Settings in gnome the only device in the list is "Dummy Output", and sound is not working.

Sound worked fine out of the box in 12.04

I ran alsamixer, it says my card is "HDA Intel", and chip is "Realtek ALC880". The alsamixer playback output was set to mute at first, unmuting did not fix.

It looks like Ubuntu is finding my audio device correctly.

Code:
    mike@wucade:~$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio" 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
    (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03) Subsystem: Albatron Corp. Device 2668 Flags: bus master, 
    fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 40 Memory at d01c0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] Capabilities: Kernel driver 
    in use: snd_hda_intel Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    My motherboard is an Albatron PX915G-Pro, am I correct in assuming that the alsa driver for this device is snd-intel-hda? It's kinda hard to see on this alsa page http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...x:Vendor-Intel

Pulling my hair out on this one.
    Last edited by frampy; October 24th, 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Make lspci output more readable

Beans

Re: No audio in 12.10

same problem. But under kde.

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by alexander1; November 1st, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

same problem here, and this isnt a great solution (particularly on a clean install) but the 3.2 kernel still works.

Beans

Hi,
    I am having a similar problem.
    After I upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 audio worked perfectly fine, once I booted up my computer today, the start-up sound works fine and the change volume "sound" works, other than that no media audio plays at all.
    This is on 12.10 using gnome 3 (with a workaround to have it act like gnome 2 if this causes problems).
    Card is HDA Intel,
    and the chip is Realtek ALC888.

Edit: (For anyone else with this particular issue only) It looks like it is a glitch if you switch your computer off if you leave the audio output to headphones, the computer reset it to the speakers, but the output was still technically set to headphones, switching to headphones and back fixed it.
    Last edited by KBD20; November 8th, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: False alarm issue/found solution - explaining

Beans

If alsamixer has correctly detected the soundcard, may be forcing Ubuntu to restart alsamixer will do the trick! Try this ...

sudo alsa force-reload

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by em wai zee View Post
    If alsamixer has correctly detected the soundcard, may be forcing Ubuntu to restart alsamixer will do the trick! Try this ...
    sudo alsa force-reload
    ^^ That fixed it for me. I just logged out and back in, had no sound and a "Dummy Output" showed up in Sound Settings.
    Then I entered sudo alsa force-reload and voila back to normal.
    Thanks!

Beans

I'm having the same problem with the same device...did you ever find a solution?

Beans

Folks here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1106334

solved this problem for me! the solution was to:

edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa- base.conf
    and add the following line
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brifra View Post
    Folks here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1106334

solved this problem for me! the solution was to:

edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa- base.conf
    and add the following line
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack
    That is ironic. I had this same problem again the other day and sudo alsa force-reload entered in terminal fixed it again for me.
    It got rid of the dummy output and set it correct.

Guess there are 2 ways to fix it. Myself, I find entering sudo alsa force-reload the easiest.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    That is ironic. I had this same problem again the other day and sudo alsa force-reload entered in terminal fixed it again for me.
    It got rid of the dummy output and set it correct.

Guess there are 2 ways to fix it. Myself, I find entering sudo alsa force-reload the easiest.
    You have a different issue (unless you have exactly the same hardware), as audio hardware tends to be very specific, and a model hack was needed there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast