Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is there a definitive, crystal clear, step by step How to NVidia proprietary driver?

Beans

Re: Is there a definitive, crystal clear, step by step How to NVidia proprietary driv

With reference to post # 59 bogan Did have code for showing what jockey sees in terminal or what jockey would show via gtk. Will have a look in browsers history but they are chocka with to many similar things which probably means searching for the like. I copied terminal text directly from other threads and after using man options i.e. man dpkg or man lspci etc maybe man grep might help for search options. EDIT: man apt-get was for me helpful in process as well especially when trying to fix held broken packages This might be handy for using apt-get build- dep nvidia-experimental-310 or other options to build source kernel. Dont quote me though.(on anything that has not been referencedlol)

Maybe installing nvidia.run drivers breaks jockey. I had noticed that when installing proprietary drivers from terminal did not show accurately in jockey as jockey did not indicate nvidia-current with green led to confirm this??? So after trying nvidia-installer --version to see if there was anything there and then jockey to see if anything there installed nope. Again can not find part of thread i got the two codes from to help id card and confirm which nvidia packages were either installed or available.
    I am not experienced in using terminal or writing how tos. Maybe using forums is good for one thing and ask/launchpad for other things. To many similar questions at ask that had qnswers that worked for op but did not provide a working solution for me. I did not understand what was causing this problem but in hindsight it was/is several issues that caused boot time and graphics issues all of which are all well documented nvidia/ubuntu issues with working solutions.

And just to encourage folks who are having similar probs- just think of it as an introduction or initiation to linux. It is only easy when you know how! The adventure may be different on different hardware configs but the lessons learned are all relative and will probably come in handy again....
    Hopefully before they are forgotten!
    Last edited by Geezanansa; December 14th, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added suggestion of man apt-get
    The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing what to do or just doing it. I know nothing and get little done.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Is there a definitive, crystal clear, step by step How to NVidia proprietary driv

Hi!, Geezananza,

You Posted:
    Code:
    Maybe installing nvidia.run  drivers breaks jockey.
    No, I think they just ignore each other.

Probably, the confusion arises because Update manager, 'dpkg', 'jockey' and 'Synaptic', [and some others] only have knowledge of Packages that are installed by themselves, or using 'dpkg, 'DKMS' or their terminal or GUI equivalents, such as 'APT' or 'Additional Drivers'.

Binary compilations and independent installations, such as AMD/ATI or NVIDIA installations, are not known to them, even though they may be DKMS compatible. They are not added to the databases on which 'jockey' etc depend. So any updates on either side are unknown to the other, unless specific proceedures are included to detect them, as is the case with Nvidia.run installations.

You also Posted:
    I am not experienced in using terminal or writing how tos.
    And:
    Re reading thread makes it more apparent you can see something i do not. And possibly vice versa.
    That is probably true.
    May I suggest, before your ability to edit your Post#52 lapses in a few days time, that you go through it and repair the [CODE] tags and replace the intra-command spaces & EOL Tags, that were corrupted by using Copy/Paste from another Post.

As it is, apart from being difficult to read, copy/pasting the commands to a Terminal will give multiple errors to anyone not very knowledgeable in terminal code.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

I would thank you bogan but it appears the record is stuck!

Please refer to post #34 as this is what is repeated in post #60. So as your thread being posted a long time ago to which has been referred to in this thread DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. That is why there has been suggestions to maybe clarify or edit what you recommend..

It is getting harder for me to bite my tongue!? If you have been offended by anything that has been said or done - Please don't be. If you aren't offended by anything that has been said and want to keep it that way then say no more on editing threads and guides
    Or

So if a novice user did install nvidia.run then had trouble booting to desktop again. Once they did eventually get to tty or terminal they may mistakenly do apt-get driver. Which would not show up in jockey(cos of nvidia.run still being installed.)
    So i guess in a usable How to; there may be advice on how to uninstall as well as install nvidia.run

Code:
    lspci -v | grep -i vga
    lspci -l | grep -i nvidia
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia 
    nvidia-installer --version
    lsmod
    were for me useful in identifying which card, drivers and modules are being used.

Things in forums are opinions. Things in
    Code:
    man "whatever package"
    are fact. So agree an unreferenced fact is opinion.
    The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing what to do or just doing it. I know nothing and get little done.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Geezananza,

Enough said! No offence taken, nor ever was, beyond what I expressed specifically.

You have thanked me more than enough times in these Posts, and I appreciate that.

I only wish I knew what exactly in my Guide, it is that fails to work for you, and whether it is with both your 6xxx series card as well as the 5xx card.

I agree that much of what is in these Forum is opinion, but what is also fact is that solutions that work for many people, and their particular set-ups, often fail to work for others with, apparently, the same problem.

With any Guide, there are always more useful items that could be added; it is a matter of judgement where to draw the line.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

Smile Re: Is there a definitive, crystal clear, step by step How to NVidia proprietary driv

It would appear the only recommended method of installing nvidia is after checking your linux image and header match the kernel you are booting, install linux-source and choose a driver from additional drivers or nvidia .run.

Using man lspci to find lspci -v and lspci -nn | grep -i nvidia with dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia or nvidia-installer --version and lsmod will help to confirm which driver is installed as well as which kernel modules are being used. Replacing nvidia with vga may show other drivers/modules

Thank you bogan. You have answered the thread question in a much more constructive manner than simply saying no. That is if simply installing a driver does not work!

Maybe working out the kernel bit can now mean i could (start thinking of how to ) build wine or other packages from source.....
    or i could have a go at setting up a lanrom to boot all my machines from!

At least i can play my games if i get bored now!?Its all good!

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, All,

There is a revised version of my "How To Install Nvidia Drivers"; Including an important change to the 'Removal of old drivers' instruction, [Section2a.] in the 'Installation & Updates' Sticky, Post#1126
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Chao!, bogan.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What version nVidia card/chip and what version Ubuntu.

With older versions, you had to boot with nomodeset and then it offered to install the nVidia driver and just worked.

With 12.10 they forgot the headers so nVidia does not install. If you download headers and manually install nvidia, then it works.

Has most bug reports:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068341

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068456
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068661

Has what worked for me, install headers & dpkg update.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068942

But you need the headers first:
    When you see you are in the desktop but no icon or bar, right click to change desktop background
    When the window appear, click all settings, now you see the system settings window.
    Next, click on Software source, go in the additional drivers tab.
    Select the 3 rd option, using video driver for the nvidia or AMD... fglrx-upgrade

cntrl-alt f1 or f2 to get to terminal also works
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    # only reason to purge is there are several versions, if you know you have different nVidia use that:
    sudp apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current
    Tried this method but getting this error:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.
    Any suggestions?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567