Thread: Is it possible to update from Wubi 12.04 to 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is it possible to update from Wubi 12.04 to 12.10?

Hi there...

I have a Ubuntu 12.04 Wubi installation, so it "lives" inside my Windows 7 64-bit.

Today the update manager said that the new Ubuntu version 12.10 is available.

There are no other updates which have to be installed.

My question is: Is it possible to update a 12.04 Wubi install to 12.10 Wubi using the update manager? Or do I have to uninstall the current version in Windows control panel and then install the new one?

...I know it would be better to run a "real" Ubuntu installation instead of the Wubi install, but I would like to go for the Wubi install a little longer before switching

Thanks...
    No matter where you are - there you are

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Is it possible to update from Wubi 12.04 to 12.10?

short answer yes
    long answer upgrades can error.
    while upgrading verions has gotten a lot better I still preferr to do a clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to update from Wubi 12.04 to 12.10?

Quote Originally Posted by DizMan View Post
    Hi there...

I have a Ubuntu 12.04 Wubi installation, so it "lives" inside my Windows 7 64-bit.

Today the update manager said that the new Ubuntu version 12.10 is available.

There are no other updates which have to be installed.

My question is: Is it possible to update a 12.04 Wubi install to 12.10 Wubi using the update manager? Or do I have to uninstall the current version in Windows control panel and then install the new one?

...I know it would be better to run a "real" Ubuntu installation instead of the Wubi install, but I would like to go for the Wubi install a little longer before switching

Thanks...
    Personally I would not do this. Wubi's purpose is to try ubuntu not to do upgrades like this. Stick with 12.04 until you feel comfortable doing a real install. Turn off the upgrade in software updater settings "notify of new version > set it to Never"

12.10 is still a bit buggy at the moment too while 12.04 is pretty rock solid.