Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheezy - How to safely install updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Wheezy - How to safely install updates?

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I don't believe so, because the desktop is installed explicitly by tasksel during the installer. There's no "debian-desktop" meta-package that installs the default desktop like the "ubuntu-desktop" package does on Ubuntu.

In other words, if the installer installed "gnome3", then APT is just going to keep upgrading gnome3.
    Most of the talk about default desktop is the switch from Gnome 3 to Xfce on the Debian 7 install CD, which was done for space - a functioning desktop of Xfce that fits on a Debian install CD.

The preferred install method of Debian 7, Net-install, will offer a choice of different desktops.

So which ever desktop you choose, regardless of install method, APT will maintain - update - upgrade

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ArtF10 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

There is a "Software Update" option in the "Applications" menu.

Is this the same as

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    I've never used it before (I prefer command line) but if it's the same as Ubuntu then it's:

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    As I mentioned above, I recommend dist-upgrade instead of upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post
    EXAMPLE:
    The current version of Debian testing is Wheezy. So, let's say a user has installed Wheezy. After a few months, Wheezy will become stable (correct???). If the user does NOT want to install a new version of Debian stable every 8 months, then the version of Debian that he/she has installed must ALWAYS be Debian testing*. However, in 8 months from now, the version of Debian testing is NOT Debian Wheezy...it might be Debian Z***abcdefg. So, how does the user constantly stay with Debian testing (without having do do a new installation every 8 months)?
    I suspect you could simply change the repo names?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12