Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot see Ubuntu in Windows 7 Homegroup

Beans

Cannot see Ubuntu in Windows 7 Homegroup

I am a first time Ubuntu user and just installed 12.10 last weekend. I am able to view my Windows 7 workgroup via Ubuntu and can access my windows 7 computers. However, from my windows computers, ubuntu does not show up in my homegroup. I have installed Samba and shared a folder as well. I can however access Ubuntu shared folder by using IP address under the windows network section. When I tested 12.10 using the boot cd, the "Ubuntu" computer icon automatically showed up when viewing the homegroup from my windows pc. I have searched many threads but at a loss how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kibaruzo159; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Cannot see Ubuntu in Windows 7 Homegroup

Hello there.

Have you added ubuntu to the windows workgroup? Also, some versions require a workgroup password to be entered one time, (if you ask it to remember it) and sometimes the ubuntu password too--and other versions don't. Some of mine did and others didn't, and I have no idea why this happens.

Also, I have had times when I had to restart both machines before it would work.

A few minutes ago, my 12.10 ubuntu connected to the lan very easily, I could see the files come up on windows as they were added to the share on ubuntu. I did not even have to add 12.10 to the workgroup. It shows up under its own 'workgroup' icon, the other machines are in the win workgroup. It's amazing... All I did was share a folder with permissions to change files inside. Samba shares were added. Exactly as you did probably.

Here is a useful link, I hope it can help you.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/...cise-pangolin/
    Last edited by critin; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Just so you know ... homegroups and workgroups, although they sound the same, are VERY different. Only Win7 can work with homegroups. Linux, Vista, and XP can NOT. Everyone can work with workgroups.

So, if you're asking specifically about Win7 "homegroups", there is no way to get them working with anything except Win7 (and maybe, Win8).
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: Cannot see Ubuntu in Windows 7 Workgroup

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Just so you know ... homegroups and workgroups, although they sound the same, are VERY different. Only Win7 can work with homegroups. Linux, Vista, and XP can NOT. Everyone can work with workgroups.

So, if you're asking specifically about Win7 "homegroups", there is no way to get them working with anything except Win7 (and maybe, Win8).

Hi Mark, thanks for pointing that out and I should have been a clearer there. Just trying to get Ubuntu to show up on my Windows PC's work groups. Title corrected

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Hello there.

Have you added ubuntu to the windows workgroup? Also, some versions require a workgroup password to be entered one time, (if you ask it to remember it) and sometimes the ubuntu password too--and other versions don't. Some of mine did and others didn't, and I have no idea why this happens.

Also, I have had times when I had to restart both machines before it would work.

A few minutes ago, my 12.10 ubuntu connected to the lan very easily, I could see the files come up on windows as they were added to the share on ubuntu. I did not even have to add 12.10 to the workgroup. It shows up under its own 'workgroup' icon, the other machines are in the win workgroup. It's amazing... All I did was share a folder with permissions to change files inside. Samba shares were added. Exactly as you did probably.

Here is a useful link, I hope it can help you.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/...cise-pangolin/

Hi Critin, I checked out that link and it is pretty much what I have done. You asked if I added ubuntu to the windows workgroup. Is there an alternative process outside of the directions in the link you shared? You also mentioned "Also, some versions require a workgroup password to be entered one time, (if you ask it to remember it) and sometimes the ubuntu password too--and other versions don't." Is this workgroup password something that needs to be entered in Ubutu?

This issue still seems so strange as I can see the windows workgroup computers from Ubuntu but no computer icon shows up for Ubuntu on the Win side........

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kibaruzo159 View Post
    Hi Critin, I checked out that link and it is pretty much what I have done. You asked if I added ubuntu to the windows workgroup. Is there an alternative process outside of the directions in the link you shared? You also mentioned "Also, some versions require a workgroup password to be entered one time, (if you ask it to remember it) and sometimes the ubuntu password too--and other versions don't." Is this workgroup password something that needs to be entered in Ubutu?

This issue still seems so strange as I can see the windows workgroup computers from Ubuntu but no computer icon shows up for Ubuntu on the Win side........
    The link shows how I added ubuntu to windows workgroup through samba. Enter the workgroup name in the space.

Yes, once you see windows in ubuntu and click to open it, a box will pop up asking for a password (in some versions, not all) It wants the password that windows will give you. Go to windows and click 'add computer to workgroup', or similar words. It will show the password to be entered in the ubuntu box. There is an option to keep the password forever, click it and it will not ask again.

If the box pops up again, it will want the ubuntu password this time. type that in and choose keep forever. (if you don't want to type it in everytime.

Again, my 12.10 did not ask for password, maybe because other partitions on the computer have already been validated, I don't know.

I allow access to "everyone" and have no issues. If you restrict access to yourself only, be sure to enter the user name and permissions in everything you share.

If you don't see workgroup after adding the name in samba, I don't know what is wrong.
    Last edited by critin; October 24th, 2012 at 05:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kibaruzo159 View Post
    Post the output of the following commands from the Ubuntu machine:
    Code:
    hostname
    testparm -s
    smbtree
    Just a wild guess at this point since we don't have all the facts but after running the "hostname" command count the number of characters. If it's 16 or more no one can see your machine because it's netbios name is too long. You can fix that in smb.conf itself:

Edit smb.conf as root:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Add the following to the [global] sections - right uner the workgroup line:
    Code:
    netbios name = something
    Just make sure something is 15 characters or less in length.

Then restart samba:
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    sudo service nmbd restart
    Wait a few minutes ( Samba / Windows are very temperamental with a samba restart ) and see if you can find the machine from Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Post the output of the following commands from the Ubuntu machine:
    Code:
    hostname
    testparm -s
    smbtree
    Just a wild guess at this point since we don't have all the facts but after running the "hostname" command count the number of characters. If it's 16 or more no one can see your machine because it's netbios name is too long. You can fix that in smb.conf itself

Hi Morbius1, your wild guess was spot on. It was simply that the default netbios name was too long. I changed and all is working like a charm. Thanks much for the help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by meliscarop View Post
    I could see the files come up on windows as they were added to the share on ubuntu.[IMG]<snip>[/IMG]

You too?
    Last edited by coffeecat; October 29th, 2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: removed hidden image link from quote of (now removed) spam post

Beans

oops
    Last edited by Novice Networker; April 18th, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast