Thread: Wifi and wired connections not working under 12.10

Beans

Wifi and wired connections not working under 12.10

I installed 12.10 the other day on my macBookPro 5,5 and have been having some problems setting up the wifi drivers.

I tried to connect to the internet with an ethernet cable but that wasn't recognized either. I managed to install fakeroot, dkms and bcmwl-kernel-source from the install disk. However, when I was installing bcmwl-kernel-source i got, FATAL: Module wl not found.

I'm kind of stuck here. I did an lspci and I'm using a Broadcom 4322 802.11 STA driver. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Wifi and wired connections not working under 12.10

What happens when you run the following sudo commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Then reboot your system
    Code:
    sudo reboot

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    This removed all of my DKMS Modules.

sudo modprobe -r wl
    This returned FATAL: Module not found

This returned E: Unable to locate package linux-firmware-nonfree
    (I don't have the install disk on me to see if it's in there. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but I can get it and try again later today)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MOG34 View Post
    (I don't have the install disk on me to see if it's in there. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but I can get it and try again later today)
    Yes, try that, as:

Code:
    requires you to be online ...

I'm not completely sure but think the b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer are on the install CD now. You might want to check that as sometimes they work when the STA drivers don't and vice versa.

Could you post the output of:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

Beans

I found my install disk and tried
    Code:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    Both threw E: Unable to locate package errors

I already have b43-fwcutter installed.

my output from
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    is

*-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: MCP79 Ethernet
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: a
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: b1
    serial: 00:26:b0:d7:60:60
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.64 latency=0 link=no maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 multicast=yes port=MII
    resources: irq:44 memory:d3486000-d3486fff ioport:21e0(size=8) memory:d3489000-d34890ff memory:df3489300-d348930f
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network Controller
    product: MCP79 BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    rescources: memory:d3200000-d3203fff

Beans

I went into the Additional Drivers tab under software sources and it says that my Wireless LAN Controller is using Broadcom 802.11 Lixux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source.

If I just removed bcmwl-kernel-source, could it cause a problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't do that as your output from the code I gave you doesn't indicate that at all. I suggest disabling that STA driver in Additional Drivers, rebooting and see what happens. If nothing, enable it again and see what happens. Without a wired connection it is hard.

Code:
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network Controller product: MCP79 BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller vendor: Broadcom Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0 version: 01 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list configuration: latency=0 rescources: memory:d3200000-d3203fff
    It's not showing any driver. Your ethernet is, though.

Code:
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.64
    I'm wondering if you have everything set up correctly in Network Manager. Are you going through a router? Is that serving you an IP address or are you using a static one?

Open Network Manager and make sure 'Connect Automatically' is ticked for the cable (and wireless for that matter).

PS: Just out of interest ... was all this working in your last install? If so, did you have any reason to install a very new release which is bound to be buggy around the edges? Okay if you want to report bugs and and learn how to fix some but for general day to day computing I would steer clear until it becomes a little more stable.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 24th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Beans

PS: Just out of interest ... was all this working in your last install? If so, did you have any reason to install a very new release which is bound to be buggy around the edges? Okay if you want to report bugs and and learn how to fix some but for general day to day computing I would steer clear until it becomes a little more stable.
    This is actually my first linux install. I guess I don't really have any good reason to be trying 12.10 over 12.04 or another version. I just sort of grabbed the most recent Ubuntu without giving it much thought. Usually I don't mind working through these kinds of problems. I've already learned a ton more about how my hardware is set up and I never learn too many shell commands. That said, I think this has reached the point where it is more trouble than it's worth. I hate giving up, but I'll take a crack at it with 12.04.

Thanks for all your help.