Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointed with 12.10... (various problems)

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Disappointed with 12.10... (various problems)

Quote Originally Posted by stbub View Post
    1) moving the mouse to the lower right corner causes the entire desktop to shift up to reveal a gray box (it should be a see thru panel without the entire desktop shifting up)
    This is the default style and behaviour for the notification area in Gnome-shell 3.6. What you describe is exactly how it is supposed to work now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by funicorn View Post
    Not useful to you, I have a point to propose though, that to upgrade right after the new release is not a wise choice. Either upgrade even earlier before official release, or just have a clean install after that.

The best timing I suggest is to upgrade after beta1 is released.
    What do you mean by "after beta1 is released"? Quantal/12.10 is final! And it is a mess

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    What do you mean by "after beta1 is released"? Quantal/12.10 is final! And it is a mess
    Or ............. maybe I'm not understanding

But it is getting harder to use 'gnome-shell' or 'gnome-panel' from an Ubuntu install or upgrade, not only because of Unity, but because the Metacity window manager has been dropped by default, etc, etc.

OTOH there is a new Ubuntu GNOME Remix that's gained enough momentum to be included in the Ubuntu repos:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073181

But IMHO this is a good time to stick with LTS unless you're adventurous

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    This is the default style and behaviour for the notification area in Gnome-shell 3.6. What you describe is exactly how it is supposed to work now.
    Weird, but I'll take your word for it.

I'll throw in a replacement issue then

No keyboard switcher icon (for gnome shell). I like to switch to a French keyboard when I write in French. But evidently, that's a low priority problem for ubuntu (judging from the fact that this bug was brought up through the proper channels weeks ago)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a reasonable option for me at this point in time.
    What about booting from a live CD as a test? I wonder if the problems would still be there or if you would be having the same issues?
    Last edited by VE6EFR; October 24th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VE6EFR View Post
    What about booting from a live CD as a test? I wonder if the problems would still be there or if you would be having the same issues?
    Booting from a live CD will not give a full environment anyways.

At this point, I'm hoping that a new official version of vmplayer will be released with the fix. I'm not interested in grabbing a patch from the net. So, I'm waiting for an official fix on this one.

Some other issues (like no keyboard switcher in gnome shell) are already in the bug tracker.

etc.

None of this is good. But it is what it is.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Weird, but I'll take your word for it.
    It took a bit for me to get used to the new behaviour, and I'm still not sure if I find it better, worse, or whatever. I have to admit that I find it aesthetically less appealing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VE6EFR View Post
    Try doing a clean install. From everything that I have been reading on the forum it seems like people are having problems after an upgrade. However once they do a fresh install a lot of the problems are corrected.
    No not at all a clean installation solve all the problems.
    My upgrade experienced began with everything perfect initially except the start up screen seems getting abit messy unlike what was in the 1204 case smooth and free of garbage.
    I thought subsequent updates will provide solutions to this messy start up screen however, this is not true! In my case, updates bring disastrous where my dedicated Nvidia NT570 was completely disabled and no way i can activate it back.
    THen I tried a clean installation with live DVD disc (look! no live CD!) thought it would bring my ubuntu back to usable state but to my dismay it was not despite 4 or 5 times trying without success, my system just got knock out completely. Leaving me with a blank screen missing of side and top bar.
    I do not know what went wrongwith this upgrade but no doubt it was crab!
    Now i am running back my 1204. It was great! I do not think upgrade is a good option for 1210 better think twice before doing it.
    Last edited by alan tam; October 25th, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: P/s:- I actually made a contributions of 16USD for what the 1204 have offered but I was in great disappointment with 1210

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

this is why i left canonical's ubuntu as i ve had nothing but trouble with crashes on several computers running 12.04 and this mess with the amazon thing with 12.10 and now the secrecy of 13.04 is the kicker for me i am using linux mints version of ubuntu with no problems and even peppermint 3 which is lubuntu/linux mint together based 12.04 if it uses unity for me it gives me issues
    linux lubuntu machine dell dimension 4300s 1.6 p4 with 1gb of ram runnint peppermint3 compaq 2.5 p4 1gb of ram running peppermint3 dell optiplex 620 2.8 pentium d 2.5 gb of ram running linux mint 13 maya cinnamon desktop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12