Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: fglrx in raring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: fglrx in raring

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    Two things. One, is that the right driver? 8.970 doesn't tally with the 9.012 of 13.1... although this could be due to it being the "legacy" branch.
    I reran the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run file without any arguments and it popped up a window that said (also see the attachment):

"Install Driver 8.97.100.7 on X.Org 6.9 or later."

I tried grepping the extracted files and I didn't find where this driver is being set.

Also looking at AMD's page it lists the version at the top of the page as 12.6 and at the bottom of the page it says:

"AMD Catalyst™ 13.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver".

Maybe AMD's just really confused about the version numbers?

I'll look at this some more either tomorrow or over the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 13.1 for "legacy" cards

Hey! Guess what?

New "legacy" drivers!

Page:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

Link:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/a...x86.x86_64.zip

Download, test, let me know. I don't have an HD2000-4000 card to test with.
    I have installed the fglrx-legacy package '2:8.97.100.7-makson1~ppa1' from here https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx but it's only for Quantal (yes I'm still using Quantal)

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 4670 and it works perfectly when I use the above ppa
    It says:
    This repository is downgradeing X-Server from 1.13 to 1.12.4 (which is maximum version supported by the drivers). Also driver Catalyst 13.1 (fglrx 8.97.100.7) is patched with this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/993427
    (comment 14), so it could work on Linux kernel 3.5.
    Maybe this could work for Raring too, I mean applying the patch and downgrading X-server to 1.12.4 ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I can't seem to get fglrx working now. Used to work with an AMD A8-4500M APU (AMD Radeon HD 7640G GPU) around the start of January or so. I now got a laptop with an AMD A10-4600M APU (AMD Radeon HD 7660G GPU) and I cannot get fglrx working. I boot up the computer, and X refuses to start. I don't think I had kernel 3.8 on the A8-4500M, was probably still 3.7 and I used 12.11 beta (the first beta they put out, I didn't bother upgrading) with the patches you provided here for kernel 3.7 support. I'm not sure why this isn't working. Any ideas? I can post the log for X refusing to start if needed, I'll just have to reinstall Kubuntu 13.04 afterwards because no matter what I do I always end up with issues after removing fglrx. Not a big deal though.

EDIT: I've tried installing from AMD, from the xorg-edgers repo, and even tried using the older version in the default Ubuntu repositories. All had the same issue.

Beans
    Distro

New beta release (13.2 beta 3).

There's still no official support for kernels newer than 3.5 yet. Hopefully the Ubuntu patches will still work (and as I write edgers don't yet have this version, wonder if it will be within two days of release as with the last )

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...13-2_Beta.aspx

Selected highlights:

• [370476 ]: Resolves a Team Fortress 2 performance issue with Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 and AMD Radeon™ HD 7000, 6000 Series GPU. Up to 300% performance improvement
    • [369298 ]: Resolves a Serious Sam 3 launching and corruption issue with Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 and AMD Radeon™ HD 7000, 6000 Series GPU

(Yeah, 300%...)

Linux Distributions Supported:
    The AMD Catalyst™ 13.2 Beta Driver for Linux is designed to support the following Linux distributions:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite 5.7, 5.8, 6.2 and 6.3
      • SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP4 and 11 SP2
      • OpenSUSE 11.4 and 12.1
      • Ubuntu 12.10

System Requirements:
    Before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst™ Linux graphics driver, the following software must be installed:

• Xorg/Xserver 6.9 and above (up to 1.13)
      • Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.5)
      • glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
      • POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

Beans
    Distro

My status:
    Downloading
    Adding in Ubuntu patch pack.
    Built, installed, DKMS builds module.

As before:
    * Extract the driver
    * Download the Ubuntu patches (https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+....debian.tar.gz).
    * Replace patches in [driver]/packages/Ubuntu/dists/source/dkms/patches
    * Replace [driver]/packages/Ubuntu/dists/source/control
    * Replace [driver]/packages/Ubuntu/dists/source/dkms.in
    * Build debs
    * Install
    * Reboot
    Last edited by jfernyhough; January 30th, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MWisBest View Post
    I can't seem to get fglrx working now. Used to work with an AMD A8-4500M APU (AMD Radeon HD 7640G GPU) around the start of January or so. I now got a laptop with an AMD A10-4600M APU (AMD Radeon HD 7660G GPU) and I cannot get fglrx working. I boot up the computer, and X refuses to start. I don't think I had kernel 3.8 on the A8-4500M, was probably still 3.7 and I used 12.11 beta (the first beta they put out, I didn't bother upgrading) with the patches you provided here for kernel 3.7 support. I'm not sure why this isn't working. Any ideas? I can post the log for X refusing to start if needed, I'll just have to reinstall Kubuntu 13.04 afterwards because no matter what I do I always end up with issues after removing fglrx. Not a big deal though.

EDIT: I've tried installing from AMD, from the xorg-edgers repo, and even tried using the older version in the default Ubuntu repositories. All had the same issue.
    Well I found out the issue. Apparently UEFI booting breaks fglrx reading the GPU's BIOS. Probably a broken implementation of it. With my other laptop I couldn't even boot Linux via UEFI to begin with, now with this one I just can't start X using fglrx and UEFI. So, I went and enabled Legacy Support in the BIOS and installed the classic way. fglrx is working now; I installed via the xorg-edgers PPA.

By the way, that PPA has the latest beta already, but the version of it is very strange... "2:12.100~beta3-0ubuntu1~xedgers~raring1" I don't see where they're getting 12.100, so I'm going to wait on installing it as that doesn't seem right.

Beans
    Distro

The version number has changed. I'm not sure if it's a number jump or an alignment to the Catalyst version, but 12.100 is the correct number.

The edgers guys are doing a good job of updates. Only a couple of hours after the release. If they keep it up there won't be much reason for this thread.

Beans
    Distro

The version number has changed. I'm not sure if it's a number jump or an alignment to the Catalyst version, but 12.100 is the correct number.

The edgers guys are doing a good job of updates. Only a couple of hours after the release. If they keep it up there won't be much reason for this thread.
    I updated via the xorg-edgers repo. It has a "Testing use only" watermark. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MWisBest View Post
    "Testing use only" watermark. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
    You need to copy across a release-version signature to /etc/ati/signature.

I've attached the signature from 13.1.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I was able to build and install the fglrx driver using the instructions for 13.1, everything went good. I rebooted, and then Unity wouldn't start. I had this same problem a few weeks ago on kernel 3.5 with the fglrx that is in the repos. I'm pretty sure an update to Unity fixed it.

Do you think this is caused because my packages (besides the kernel) are still on quantal? The version of Unity appears to be the same in both raring and quantal (6.12), so that seems a little unlikely. I'm going to try reinstalling the drivers and doing an aticonfig --initial, but if that doesn't work I'm happy to use the open source drivers. However, any suggestions would be welcome!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast