Thread: X Server no longer has Randr after going from 12.04 to 12.10

Beans

Question X Server no longer has Randr after going from 12.04 to 12.10

Hello,

I recently updated to 12.10 on Kubuntu and have run into a strange issue. I have a setup where I have a laptop with a vertical monitor attached. I'm running this on a MacBook Pro 6,2 and am using nvidia's proprietary driver. After upgrading, my vertical monitor no longer is rotated vertically.

So I tried running xrandr directly and it returns immediately while printing out the text "RandR extension is missing". I decided to try going to the system settings. When I go into System Settings > Display and Monitor, it takes me to "Size & Orientation", which, instead of options and such, simply has the text "Your X Server does not support resizing and rotating the display. Please update to version 4.3 or greater. You need the X Resize, Rotate, and Reflect extension (RANDR) version 1.1 or greater to use this feature." I thought maybe Compiz was messing things up and somehow got enabled when I upgraded, so when I went to Desktop Effects, it tells me "Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available."

Everything has been pointing to somehow my X server being borked. So I go into Muon and try and update xorg and server and all of them say they are installed and the latest version. I went ahead and marked for reinstallation some packages, including xorg, nvidia-current, xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-core, and xserver-common. Reinstalling these didn't seem to do anything.

This leads me to believe that the upgrade broke X-server, and re-installation is not actually reinstalling. Does anyone have any ideas?

This is what my xorg.conf looks like.

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 1050
        Screen      2  "Screen2" 1440 0
        Option         "Xinerama" "1"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor1"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Apple Color LCD"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 75.0
        VertRefresh     60.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor2"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "NEC PA271W"
        HorizSync       31.0 - 94.0
        VertRefresh     50.0 - 87.0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device1"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GT 330M"
        BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen          0
        Option  "Coolbits" "1"
        Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device2"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GT 330M"
        BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen          1
        Option "Rotate" "Left"
        Option  "Coolbits" "1"
        Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen1"
        Device         "Device1"
        Monitor        "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen2"
        Device         "Device2"
        Monitor        "Monitor2"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option         "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection

Edit: So I managed to get to a certain point. I reinstalled xserver using this: http://john-willis.com/2010/01/remov...n-ubuntu-9-10/ and I'm no longer getting the issue in Display & Orientation. It hasn't fixed my issue, but I'm at least moving forward. I'm going to take a look at the xorg and see if it's changed.

If anyone else is looking at this and trying to get to the command line without xorg, hit CTRL+ALT+F1 on your desktop. Do "sudo init 3" to get rid of the current running xserver and then follow the directions in the website listed above.
    Last edited by _glook; October 22nd, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Re: X Server no longer has Randr after going from 12.04 to 12.10

So, what worked for me was to not have an xorg.conf. My nvidia driver is "active but not currently in use" which is fine with me, honestly. I ended up using the Size and Orientation in the settings menu and ignoring the nvidia xserver tool entirely.

So yeah, after 4 hours, I'm finally where I started before the upgrade and can get back to work .

Marking as fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: X Server no longer has Randr after going from 12.04 to 12.10

I'm not 100% sure this is related to your issue, but it looks like as of a couple days ago xinerama and xrandr are no longer allowed to be used at the same time: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...60-driver.html