Thread: unity feature - annoying yellow tab

Beans

unity feature - annoying yellow tab

Hello,

There is a very annoying unity feature that I would like to cancel, but don't know how, or if it is even possible. I have ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and am thinking about upgrading to the new 12.10, but not sure yet.

Anyways, the problem is that every time you selecet a file or a folder (to cut or copy or rename), a yellow tab appears at the bottom of the window saying the name of the selected file/folder and the number of subfolders. The problem with this is if I am selecting a folder that is at the very bottom of the window, and that folder has a *very* long name, then once the yellow tab appears (also at the bottom of the screen), it blocks the view of the orginal folder you selected and it makes it difficult to edit the folder (for instance, to right click it and rename it) as it keeps blocking the mouse clicks.

I am attaching a picture to illustrate the tab that I want gone - if anyone has a solution for this, it would be great!

redhive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redhive; October 22nd, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

Beans

Re: unity feature - annoying yellow tab

I also have run into this problem. The yellow tab makes renaming the last file in a folder very tedious. I am using Ubuntu 12.10, so the problem persists in this version. Is there no solution to this, no way to get rid of the yellow tab?

Wolfhart

Beans

I found out that this problem has already been reported as a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/958919

And there's a workaround, namely to activate the "Statusbar" under "View", which works for me.

Wolfhart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This won't fix it but I do say do the upgrade. I have found 12.10 very stable and fast.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi wolfhart,

I have ubuntu 13.04 and suffer from the same problem - very annoying to rename files that way. I didn't quite understand your workaround - where do I find "view" on ubuntu 13.04? You mean on nautilus? The only "view" I have there does not offer the statusbar option that you mentioned.

Thanks in advance,

linux.girl

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhart View Post
    I found out that this problem has already been reported as a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/958919

And there's a workaround, namely to activate the "Statusbar" under "View", which works for me.

Wolfhart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by linux.girl View Post
    Hi wolfhart,

I have ubuntu 13.04 and suffer from the same problem - very annoying to rename files that way. I didn't quite understand your workaround - where do I find "view" on ubuntu 13.04? You mean on nautilus? The only "view" I have there does not offer the statusbar option that you mentioned.

Thanks in advance,

linux.girl
    A lot of features were removed from Nautilus in GNOME 3.6 - including the status bar.
    See here for more info - the features removed, and how to install Nautilus 3.4: http://askubuntu.com/questions/28643...e-a-status-bar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the info - sorry to hear that the only way is to uninstall and put in an older version.

How about those bug reports - do you know if they intend to fix the problem?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/958919 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/797485

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

anyone has more suggestions about this? the only options are really to downgrade nautilus or start using a different file browser?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux.girl View Post
    anyone has more suggestions about this? the only options are really to downgrade nautilus or start using a different file browser?
    Don't see that they will change this, it's a very minor & pretty rare deal - you need a file with a very long name at the bottom of a folder & only in list view.
    One can -
    Switch to icon view to rename or whatever
    Click on the the little black arrow in the "name" box when in list view, that will reverse file ordering & file in question will go to top, when done re-click arrow to return view.
    Put an empty text file at the bottom of folder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thanks mc4man, I guess you are right - I should get used to it