Thread: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

I just upgraded to quantal and I'm working on a paper in libreoffice writer and have noticed a number of bugs.

After saving the paper, the menu items have disappeared. I can click the menu title but no menu items show up. I closed LibreOffice and reopened it, and am having the same issue.
    I couldn't insert a page break either.
    Is this a problem with my system or are other people experiencing anything like this in the stock libreoffice with 12.10?
    I'd really like to work with some reliable office suite soon because this semester is pretty busy. I have to favor usability and reliability over features right now..
    Any suggestions? A good alternative to LibreOffice in the repos, or is it something else wrong with my system?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

This is problematic. I am in the same situation as you are in right now, and when that happens one has to either remember shortcuts, or reboot the computer, which is kind of an inconvenience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ogresav View Post
    I just upgraded to quantal and I'm working on a paper in libreoffice writer and have noticed a number of bugs.

After saving the paper, the menu items have disappeared. I can click the menu title but no menu items show up. I closed LibreOffice and reopened it, and am having the same issue.

Thanks!
    I did a very quick check, and I haven't seen the problem.

I'm using gnome shell, not unity. Unity does weird things with the menus. Are you using Unity or Gnome Shell as your desktop environment? Logoff, and try switching (you might have to first install gnome shell if you don't already have it).

Beans
    Hidden!

Using default Unity the problem is there sometimes, but not always, though (which I forgot to note).

Beans

LibreOffice 3.6.2 crashed a couple times on Xubuntu 12.10 and I have also had the 3.6.2 Windows version "Not Responding" for up to about 20 seconds on Windows 7 several times so I don't think it is a Ubuntu problem.

I never had any problems with earlier versions of LO.

Beans

I have the same problem. Libre0ffice is unusable, frequently crashes, and the items in the new "global menu" do not work reliably (i.e. no response or crash).
    I will have to try to install an older version or go back to Ubuntu 12.04, or another operating system. I also do not like that the window menus were removed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sabinedoll View Post
    I also do not like that the window menus were removed.
    This one is not a bug, though, as it was intended, being part of the Unity integration, which was the whole objective for Quantal.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/u...ome-shell-spin

Beans

My bug seems to be that the menus in LO appear but don't work, i.e., File -> Save does not work when clicked on. For me the solution was to restart LO and not having to reboot... yet.
    Last edited by kevinr1; December 4th, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wrong message