Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

You do realise that Ubuntu 12.10 is basically an interim (eg. beta) release of Ubuntu based on Debian Testing? This is not, by definition, a "stable" system.
    This is not how the Ubuntu release shedule is conceived. The 6 month releases of Ubuntu are designed to be stable releases, useable by end-users yet providing the latest technology. The LTS releases are intended for users or environments where stability, both in the meaning of "error free" and "predictable", is of prime importance at the expense of latest features.

Yet that argument would it make even worse when the release has highly visible and blatant bugs with core productivity software such as an office suite.

I stepped into 12.10 only a week ago. My mayor problem was that Alt+hotkey menu access is not available with the global menus. I have disabled the global menu as a temporary stop measure, and thus I do not have extensive experience of LO with the global menu. However, some of the most severe issues may have been fixed in the mean time.

Another issue I still see is the interaction with the launcher. When an icon is locked, starting a document from nautilus starts a different icon rather than using the pinned icon. Still not working correctly, although the current situation is way better than in stock 12.04, where instances of LibreOffice would disappear from the laucher and could not anymore be activated, not using the launcher and not using Alt+tab. As a stop measure here, I removed pinned LO icons from the launcher. LO is quite useable and troube free since.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

wribeiro, your problem is with the font used. Go to Tools>Options>LibreOffice>View and check the option Use system font for user interface.

As for Ubuntu, even if their packaging is way too much "integrated" with some applications (like LibreOffice), I've never faced major problems, even using beta versions of FF and TB installed directly from the tarballs.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    This is not how the Ubuntu release shedule is conceived. The 6 month releases of Ubuntu are designed to be stable releases, useable by end-users yet providing the latest technology. The LTS releases are intended for users or environments where stability, both in the meaning of "error free" and "predictable", is of prime importance at the expense of latest features...
    Err, I'm afraid Ubuntu releases were conceived this way from the outset. Ubuntu has always been based on either Debian unstable (non-LTS) or Debian testing (primarily LTS releases).

While both Debian unstable and testing are "relatively" stable for normal use, this point must be borne in mind by users who need reliable, stable systems, such as for work.

See "Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable" by Matt Zimmerman, former Canonical chief technical officer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Err, I'm afraid Ubuntu releases were conceived this way from the outset. ....
    Concepts apart, if people sincerely want to get past the "~1% desktop share" they should be more clear about what is what.

Expecting potential users to immerse themselves in the history and philosophy of something may be too much. And while some may be familiar with the release early, release often mantra, others won't.

Each release has a beta and a release candidate. Just like software intended as a production release. Why? To avoid confusion, the non-LTS versions should carry "unstable" or "testing" as part of their name.

TenPlus1 is online now Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Am using Lubuntu 12.10 and no problems so far using LibreOffice...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    Am using Lubuntu 12.10 and no problems so far using LibreOffice...
    Same here but I got my LibO 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: da8c1e6) direct and not via a ppa and will be in no hurry to update it.

But OP has LibreOffice running on Unity which is where the problem, if any, lies. See this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12375336
    and this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12375345

Beans

Unhappy Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    wribeiro, your problem is with the font used. Go to Tools>Options>LibreOffice>View and check the option Use system font for user interface.
    Hagar Delest, LibreOffice font is correctly configured in my system. Everything works fine while there is only one or two documents opened in LO.
    I suppose that you will get the same behavior if you repeat the steps in your system. Just open multiple documents, one at a time, by double clicking filename in Nautilus. At some point the screen flashes and system font (menus and toolbars) gets shuffled. Other open applications (Chromium, for example) are also affected at this moment and everything must be closed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wribeiro View Post
    Hagar Delest, LibreOffice font is correctly configured in my system. Everything works fine while there is only one or two documents opened in LO.
    I suppose that you will get the same behavior if you repeat the steps in your system. Just open multiple documents, one at a time, by double clicking filename in Nautilus. At some point the screen flashes and system font (menus and toolbars) gets shuffled. Other open applications (Chromium, for example) are also affected at this moment and everything must be closed.
    I tried to replicate your bug and failed. I opened ten different LO documents, one by one, by double-clicking on the filenames in Nautilus, and there were no problems. I've also never seen anyone else mention this bug. Does it exist on Launchpad, for example? If it doesn't, I'm wondering if perhaps something is misconfigured on your system (fonts or locales, perhaps?).
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

jrog, thanks for making the tests.
    Fonts and locale are correctly configured here.
    Since the problem can not be replicated in other environments, I must assume that it is a conflict between LibreOffice and proprietary video driver nvidia-experimental-304 that I'm using on my HP Pavilion dv6000.
    That does not happen in any other circumstance, only when opening files in LibreOffice and affects other open applications.

Beans

Changing video driver to nvidia-current-updates the problem keeps happening, but we need to open more documents until the menu font becomes scrambled.
    In the last test I had to open 12 text document.

Can someone please make this test by opening a large amount of text documents (over 15 or 20), one by one, with double click?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast