Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: channel4 4od stream not working

Beans

channel4 4od stream not working

I recently installed ubuntu 12.04 alongside W7 on my wife's old Dell laptop. This sits next to our TV, and we primarily use it for catching up TV programmes. Flash seems to be installed correctly, since BBC iPlayer and ITV player are both working fine. But I can't get channel 4 4od to work - when I choose a programme and hit play, I just get the buffering animation (pictured) ad infinitum. This is on Firefox, but I've also tried it with chromium and have the same problem.

I have adblock plus enabled; if I disable this, then the ads play quite happily, but when it comes to the actual programme, I have the same problem.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: channel4 4od stream not working

Hi,
    I've just installed Mythbuntu and am having the same issue with 4oD. I've installed Firefox and Opera, to see if it was just Chromium but they're all the same. itv, bbc etc. are all ok.
    Also tried the flash settings manager, adding channel4 to the allow list and upping the local storage.

Beans

Following advice I found on this page, I fixed this by installing the "hal" package:

sudo apt-get install hal

I have no idea that that package is for. Maybe it would be a good idea for it to be part of the standard distro.

Beans

Fantastic! This worked, thank you.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: channel4 4od stream not working

Yes! Thank you.

Remarkably, it seems that HAL is required to play 4oD programmes on Ubuntu (and presumably Linux in general).

This is remarkable because HAL is a fairly low-level piece of software used to detect hardware properly. It's also been obsolete for several years, and the most recent version dates from 2011.

HAL *should* be completely unrelated to video. I can only suspect that 4oD is using some sort of DRM, and that my netbook's hardware (which came with Linux) somehow passes 4oD's inquisition.

Once again, the fix (that worked for me) is to install the “hal” package (and disable AdBlock).

Beans

thanks devnull12 !
    sudo apt-get install hal
    works for me (Mint 14.1)

Beans

Hi, Hal worked for me too, thank you!
    (Ubuntu 12.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Whatever the reason, this solution worked for me too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've tried reinstalling HAL, but this isn't helping anymore. I suspect it has something to do with the recent update to Flash.

Following adobe support instructions at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4797322 (message 21), the adobe console at http://drmtest2.adobe.com/AccessPlayer/player.html comes up with the following error message.

Code:
    Status event received on  Sun Apr 14 19:11:00 GMT+0100 2013 code =  DRM.UpdateNeededButIncompatible level =  error 
    Start to download DRM Module Sun Apr 14 19:10:59 GMT+0100 2013
    Any adobe wizards know how to sort this out?

Peace
    The Free Software war is won, all else is now maneuvering
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/27361/image/1/

Beans

Worked for me, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast