Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you'd start a company, what would it be?

Beans

If you'd start a company, what would it be?

Well is there any entrepeneurs or entrepeneur-minded folks? Even if not, what is your dream? Would it rely on open source or just whatever is highly profitable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: If you'd start a company, what would it be?

I would start a computer company.

And yes it would be open source stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have thought about doing laptop/desktop repair, refurbishing, or re-purposing after I retire in order to get some extra income. Due to demand, 95% of the work would probably not be an open source operating system; however, open source might play as much as a 50% role in applications. If you look at my signature below, then you will see that I am OK with that.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If I had the chance, I would start a costume creature shop, personally, and have all the office computers built from used parts and running Ubuntu or Redhat exclusively. =P I also want to get into refurbishing old game consoles, even replacing aging electronic components in their MOBOs with fresh ones, and reselling them at a reasonable price for consumers with a love for anything retro.
    Last edited by LillyDragon; December 6th, 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

I also have a bigger dream which can conquer the world (seriously). I only have to hire qualified workers/partners and get some investor's money. It's superb but not completely unique idea from what i've learned -it's in use on some part of world but those have quite poor outcome compared to my ideas.

It's still worth a try. Even if many things goes wrong, it's worth couple millions revenue in here where I live. It also completely relies on open source software so everybody wins. Only problem is we are in recession right now so start would be too risky, as business always is, but you don't want extra risk straight from the beginning. In a year or two I'll be an entrepeneur.
    Last edited by 1204; December 6th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    If I had the chance, I would start a costume creature shop, personally, and have all the office computers built from used parts and running Ubuntu or Redhat exclusively. =P I also want to get into refurbishing old game consoles, even replacing aging electronic components in their MOBOs with fresh ones, and reselling them at a reasonable price for consumers with a love for anything retro.
    I also had a daydream about this. Only six options to customers

AMD A4, A6 or A10
    Intel i3, i5 or i7

with Ubuntu 12.04. Also couple of HP printers, RAM options and one or two different AMD/Nvidia GPUs if customers want more processing power. Also Steam pre-installed for gamers. Advantage would be that you don't need big warehouse for these. I think this would work on a bigger city but not in a small town where I live; Microsoft Windows is still a synonym to Operating System. I've done my best to make a change from windows to linux, but it's difficult. 27 PCs so far from Vista/7 -> Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by 1204; December 6th, 2012 at 02:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know it is probably assumed to be the answer of most-

I would really created a company aimed at linux support. (of course i would definatly need to take some type of professional class on UNIX first because i sure do not know everything- but like to think have great experience) Whereby i would build custom computers that run linux and set the customer up with the linux OS of their choice- after a conversation on the types of distros out there they might like to tryout, and if need be basic help of how to get started. I would also allow customers to bring in retail machines that i deem to be compatible with Linux. I will of course freely back up their windows/OS X partitions- from there they can decide to ditch the preinstalled OS or dual-boot, eitherway i would have a backup of the machines original state for them.

The other option, is leasing skills to developers to help make their games cross platform.
    Last edited by Jakin; December 6th, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1204 View Post
    Well is there any entrepeneurs or entrepeneur-minded folks? Even if not, what is your dream? Would it rely on open source or just whatever is highly profitable?
    First dream I've always had is to open up a high-end pastry shop. It was my first career, one I was very good at, but one I had to put on hold because I wasn't making enough money to pay for my dream.

Second is to create a proprietary trading company. Apart from cooking and pastries, finance/economics is a passion of mine (and I've devoted alot of time, effort and money into trading in the last several years - I've also gone back to University, funded by my trading activities).

If that's slightly too ambitious (which is most likely is, as I have nowhere close to enough capital) then I'd like to create a web app and a company based around it which provides up to date worldwide economic and financial data that could help businesses plan their operations based on market conditions (I've found alot of business managers, especially in small businesses, are ignorant of macro issues).

As for open source technology in my potential business plans, I definitely would incorporate it. Not because I care about the FSF or even freedom, but because it's a great pragmatic choice - for building a system from the ground up Linux and open source tools are the best.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm not sure what the business itself would be, but it would have to be one where I made obscene amounts of money, did very little and got to yell at people a lot.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'm not sure what the business itself would be, but it would have to be one where I made obscene amounts of money, did very little and got to yell at people a lot.

i would onyl be the owner of succesfull business while others would work for me. i would just count the money/profits at the end of each month.

but seriously i think consulting is preety good.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast