View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quantal installation and upgrade experience

It seems we didn't create one of these threads for the last release, but I was asked to do it this time around.

Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Quantal Quetzal.

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

For previous polls, have a look here

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

I did a fresh install and had no problems.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Install went well but system unusable until video driver situation is resolved. Went back to 12.04

Beans

Fresh install of Lubuntu 12.10 beta 2 followed by updating to the present. Dell 1545 laptop. No problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fresh install of 12.10 went pretty badly. Failed to update grub on my SSD, so I had to boot the live demo, mount the partition and re-create it. Fairly unstable after that, but I don't think it's related to the OS itself as I have the same issues on 12.04.

So something about these recent OS's isn't playing well with my hardware.
    +Solace @DeviantArt | Awesome Guide | Beginners Team Member
    Canadian Forces 2007-present

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Updated Xubuntu 12.04 with both Xfce & LXDE to Xubuntu 12.10. No problems whatsoever. Well, there IS this pesky Lubuntu 12.10 Plymouth log in/log out screen. Hmmmmm.....

Although after reading all the posts from Ubuntu 12.04 users who upgraded & had problems, I was just a Little scared to try it myself.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Noticed linux-headers-generic-3.5.0-17 was removed at the end of installation. Just reinstalled it and installed nvidia-current.

Nothing serious though.

Beans

Did two upgrades on laptops running Xubuntu and both worked fine.

Did an upgrade on my netbook with Xubuntu and the system booted directly to tty1. After messing around with different graphics driver options and going back to kernel 3.2 I was able to start xfce manually from tty1 but with limited functionality. Tried a clean install and had the same issues and decided to revert back to 12.04 until a workaround for GMA35x0 graphics drivers is found to work well. None of the existing fixes worked for me.

Beans

I have to admit that I'm a regular Mint user but in the past used Ubuntu extensively and even though I do use Mint, I like to try out a new distro to see how Ubuntu is coming along so so I thought I'd install Ubuntu 12.10 and give a try.

As usual there were several issues that I had to resolve with the Nvidea drivers and getting the splash screen to finally act right.

And as expected there were new PPAs I had to research since some of the ones I used in for 12.04 couldn't be found but after correcting this, all my favorite apps are now installed and seen to work except one or two that generates an occasional error message which I guess has something to do with compatibility with the app.

But in spite of these little hick-ups I'll stick with it for awhile since these issues will be addressed eventually. Besides if there's anything Iv'e learned over the years with Linux, is that there will always be bugs for couple of months until there patched with a more stable version.

As for the Launcher and Dash, personalty I don't use them but use Synapse instead since I can usually type the command and run the app faster than scrolling through the Dash.

And as for the dreaded Amazon lens, I simply removed it post installation which by the way was pretty easy. As for all the hoopla surrounding this lens,I really don't see the big deal about it. My philosophy is if you don't like certain features don't use them or just remove them.

I'm sure Canonical is trying to make the product better, it's just going to take time. And even though I'm a Mint user, I still think we need to give Shuttleworth a break and focus on using Ubuntu and offer some positive feed back and keeping in the spirit of what FOSS is really all about.
    Last edited by kherring7383; October 22nd, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had no problem on 2 of my machines.
    However, I have an AMD graphics card on one of mine, and the Catalyst Control Center is giving me headaches trying to re-configure my multi-monitor setup.
    Thank goodness my new nVidia card is on the way! nVidia has always provided good driver support, so this should be much better.
    Edit: I also decided to do the full disk encryption. I like the way it acts-it actually looks good (not necessary, but it sure is nice to have a decent looking password prompt), and it even prevents you from editing the partitions in GParted.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can not do custom partitioning in the "Something else" option on install and also have full disk encryption. I may not have a swap partition now, but I am perfectly fine with it, and I am planning on upgrading the RAM when prices drop.
    I just wish GParted could enter the password so I could add in a swap partition. Oh well, I guess that is the price you pay for security. At least it is open source, so it is likely to get fixed a lot faster if any security flaws are found.
    Probably the best thing about it is the boot time. When I say 10.91 seconds, I mean 10.91 seconds. Note that I mean from the time I press enter after entering my password to the time I see the login screen pop up-measuring the time from the BIOS post screen would be difficult to stop and start my watch at the right time.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast