View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

For me it was the worst Ubuntu release ever. Unity with ATI was so unstable it couldn't even load. There was no 2D fallback. It actually made me explore other distro's.

openSUSE being currently used as my main.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    For me it was the worst Ubuntu release ever. Unity with ATI was so unstable it couldn't even load. There was no 2D fallback. It actually made me explore other distro's.

openSUSE being currently used as my main.
    With Unity, i had to install the fglrx updates (i did so ontop of fglrx that didnt work properly), to fix the issue of th desktop not loading. After which everything seemed fine.

Code:
    apt-get install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My worst experience since dapper drake.
    After an upgrade from 12/04 it wouldn't boot. For now I went back to precise, but will try Mint mate/cinnamon soon.
    spier
    --------
    Linux user #410105

Beans

12.10 is the first linux OS I've used and it installed quickly and works brilliantly, obviously some work was needed to get appropriate drivers and things set up but that was quick and easy. No problems whatsoever!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have to come back on a statement I made earlier on successful upgrade. The upgrade went well but last week I tried a clean install of Quantal and it didn't turn out so well, the proprietary Nvidia drivers simply didn't seem to work or get activated after rebooting and I was presented an empty desktop. Clean install of 12.04 has solved the problem for now

Beans

Fresh install. No prob. Xubuntu 12.10

Beans

Did a clean install about a week ago and the install when through flawlessly, but I will have system errors popup alittle more than often more than I did on 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcoffeelover View Post
    Did a clean install about a week ago and the install when through flawlessly, but I will have system errors popup alittle more than often more than I did on 12.04.
    Solution: disable Apport.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Had to downgrade my laptop back to 12.04 (Kubuntu) because it uses a ati mobility HD 4250, which is no longer supported with the fglrx drivers in xserver 1.13. Boo to AMD.

But my desktop works fine once I updated the fglrx drivers to 12.10 (using an XFX HD5850). That said gaming performance through WINE is poor for me with these drivers. I'm hoping 12.11 will better (though I haven't tried the beta release).

I'm hoping the upcoming linux Steam release will pressure AMD into providing much better support for linux. Otherwise I'll be buying a Nvidia card for my desktop.

Beans

The only reason it was a little bad for me was that the new Maximus V Gene from Asus had old BIOS, and I had installed Kubuntu 11.10 for a short period of time, so I could upgrade, but there happened to be some broken packages, and so I had to do a fresh install.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast