View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

I had no problem on 2 of my machines.
    However, I have an AMD graphics card on one of mine, and the Catalyst Control Center is giving me headaches trying to re-configure my multi-monitor setup.
    Thank goodness my new nVidia card is on the way! nVidia has always provided good driver support, so this should be much better.
    Edit: I also decided to do the full disk encryption. I like the way it acts-it actually looks good (not necessary, but it sure is nice to have a decent looking password prompt), and it even prevents you from editing the partitions in GParted.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can not do custom partitioning in the "Something else" option on install and also have full disk encryption. I may not have a swap partition now, but I am perfectly fine with it, and I am planning on upgrading the RAM when prices drop.
    I just wish GParted could enter the password so I could add in a swap partition. Oh well, I guess that is the price you pay for security. At least it is open source, so it is likely to get fixed a lot faster if any security flaws are found.
    Probably the best thing about it is the boot time. When I say 10.91 seconds, I mean 10.91 seconds. Note that I mean from the time I press enter after entering my password to the time I see the login screen pop up-measuring the time from the BIOS post screen would be difficult to stop and start my watch at the right time.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been running Quantal, since the tool chain was uploaded, so I knew what problems I would run into during and after the fresh installation, my Quantal install went flawlessly, but when I did a fresh install of the Ubuntu GNome Remix, grub didn't behave at is should. Even though I wiped the partitions on the hard drive I am using, the menu entires didn't show what I actually have on this system.

Currently it is a triple boot system, with 12.04, 12.10 and Gnome Remix 12.10. I had menu entries for:

• Gnome Remix
    • Quantal develop version
    • Gnome Remix
    • !2.04

Once I booted back into Quantal, I reran grub-install and update-grub, and now the menu entries are as they should be.

Beans

I downloaded the image again and gave it another try. No problem now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Clean install on an Acer 1410 was not problem at all.

Upgrade of 12.04 to 12.10 on desktop pc with nVidia graphics has had a few hiccups and seems to have a memory leak.
    Today booted up to busybox. Rebooted to safe mode, although reisub didn't work had to use reset button, and fsck sorted it out.
    Couple of other minor annoyances so not too bad. I never do upgrade but I did this to test it out. Always takes ages to upgrade whereas clean install is very quick.

Code:
    [edit] free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          2002       1780        222          0         88        767
    -/+ buffers/cache:        924       1078
    Swap:         1906          0       1906
    Code:
    [edit2] this with nouveau drivers. free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          2002       1220        782          0         79        511
    -/+ buffers/cache:        629       1373
    Swap:         1906          0       1906
    Last edited by philinux; October 23rd, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Everything was smooth and without fuss for me, though I should add that currently I use openbox, rather than unity or KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My laptop needs the alternative (non-PAE) kernel so I don't know if I will be able to install 12.10 or if this is the end of the road for me & Ubuntu on my laptop,
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Upgraded to 12.10 last Sunday. Upgrade went fine. After the restart, unity was gone--all I had was a terminal, and I had no way to reset unity. I reinstalled 12.04....

Beans

Went from Xubuntu 12.04 to something approximating to Xubuntu 12.10 that doesn't work. So I'm going to have to do a reinstall - hurrah....
    Matthew
    Current Xubuntu machine (old, quite slow, and past its 10th birthday, yet still surprisingly functional): Celeron 633 MHz | 320 MB RAM | Xubuntu 9.10

Beans

I first upgraded from 12.04, and couldn't boot. Ran boot-repair, still nothing but a 'grub rescue>' prompt. I then wiped the disk and did a fresh install with a newly downloaded .iso, same thing. The kernel was missing.

I reverted to 12.04, from a bootable USB stick, and the system is working fine. I will be re-attempting the 12.10 install this weekend.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well errors may show up later but as it seems now updating Kubuntu 12.04.1 to 12.10 went nearly flawless. Nearly because my desktop widgets appeared scrambled, but after updating their settings they showed up ok again. Also updating started an activity I had explicitly stopped in 12.04. So all in all I'm happy with the upgrade

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast