View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

I had no problem on 2 of my machines.
    However, I have an AMD graphics card on one of mine, and the Catalyst Control Center is giving me headaches trying to re-configure my multi-monitor setup.
    Thank goodness my new nVidia card is on the way! nVidia has always provided good driver support, so this should be much better.
    Edit: I also decided to do the full disk encryption. I like the way it acts-it actually looks good (not necessary, but it sure is nice to have a decent looking password prompt), and it even prevents you from editing the partitions in GParted.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can not do custom partitioning in the "Something else" option on install and also have full disk encryption. I may not have a swap partition now, but I am perfectly fine with it, and I am planning on upgrading the RAM when prices drop.
    I just wish GParted could enter the password so I could add in a swap partition. Oh well, I guess that is the price you pay for security. At least it is open source, so it is likely to get fixed a lot faster if any security flaws are found.
    Probably the best thing about it is the boot time. When I say 10.91 seconds, I mean 10.91 seconds. Note that I mean from the time I press enter after entering my password to the time I see the login screen pop up-measuring the time from the BIOS post screen would be difficult to stop and start my watch at the right time.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.