View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

I upgraded Xubuntu 12:04 to 12:10, and found it wouldn't boot any more! Just hung at the Xubuntu loading screen. It was odd, because I'm running it on a Dell Inspiron 1525, that came with Ubuntu pre-intalled, so I knew all my hardware was compatible. I'd also fun Xubuntu 12:10 from a live USB, to check it worked.

So, I did a fresh install instead. Found that to be sooo buggy that I reinstalled 12:04, just so I could get some work done. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with the upgrade process, and the first time I have ever had to resort to reinstalling a previous version. I've been using Ubuntu since Gutsy Gibbon in '07, and I even had the random freezing problems what, one or two years back.

Was rather disappointed, but as reinstalling 12:04 left me with no problems, I've not started any help threads on anything!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.10 for this release cycle. I decided to put "worked flawlessly" despite having to do the install and initial bootup with nomodeset (current nouveau does not support my NVidia GTX 560 card). Once the proprietary driver was installed, everything is running perfectly.

I am noticing that xorg.conf is eating more RAM in 12.10 than it did in 12.04, and some of the PPA's I used in 12.04 don't have 12.10 packages (yet). Other than that, everything works flawlessly
    Last edited by viperdvman; November 5th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fresh install of 12.10 Ubuntu with Unity today, was all pretty flawless.. but im finding myself stray-jacketed, trying my best to like it.

The 3.5 kernel is awesome, its too bad it refuses to work with my 12.04 system
    Last edited by Jakin; November 9th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Upgraded Kubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 without problem, it's the LightDM Login Manager I don't care for, when changed to my prefered background the Users names are unreadable.(black on black) You can move the users but they don't stay there and the users and the password are in the. centre spoiling the picture(sexy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Duck66 View Post
    Upgraded Kubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 without problem, it's the LightDM Login Manager I don't care for, when changed to my prefered background the Users names are unreadable.(black on black) You can move the users but they don't stay there and the users and the password are in the. centre spoiling the picture(sexy)
    Really? I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not that the change background to user wallpaper feature did not work for me.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Really? I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not that the change background to user wallpaper feature did not work for me.
    Didn't work for me either, no matter what i chose, it shows as a solid white background. Though user images work fine.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    Didn't work for me either, no matter what i chose, it shows as a solid white background. Though user images work fine.
    I got the default purple salad wallpaper as my login background.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Xubuntu 12.10 fresh install on a netbook which had (I said "had" ) Windows 7. Works fine, boots and shutdowns faster than Windows. Uses two times less RAM too.

Beans

Unity crashes when I upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have an nVidia card in my machine. Did a fresh install of 12.10 and finally managed to work my way through the linux-header issues and got the proprietary drivers working.

Final straw was when I installed Eclipse 4.2 from the eclipse.org website. It was slow and reported errors and crashed frequently. Sounds like there is stuff missing on the installation, because it works flawlessly on 12.04. Turns out, according to AskUbuntu.com (here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21364...o-ubuntu-12-10), that Eclipse 4.2.1 seems to be incompatible with version 1.10 of libwebkitgtk-1.0.0. Oh well.

Re-installed 12.04 and am happy as a clam. I would like to have the webapp in 12.04. That looked like it would be very useful. But alas, that is not to be - they won't be backporting to 12.04.
    Last edited by fballem; November 11th, 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Updated - found specific explanation for Eclipse not working.
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast