View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I 'think' you can get around that with the mini.iso - though I'm not completely sure.

Possibly lubuntu still uses the non-pae kernel as well
    12.04 Alternate (and Xubuntu and Lubuntu) were non-PAE. I think I read somewhere that 12.10 wasn't even going to provide the non-PAE kernel (at least on Xubuntu and Lubuntu) so it really comes down to whether or not the alternate or mini are using a non-PAE kernel.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ian.leckey View Post
    Only thing that bugged me after the upgrade was the unity launcher icons reverted to the default massive size, sticky edges had reverted to default, and launcher display settings on mulimonitor setup had reverted to default (launcher on both screens).
    And MyUnity has not been released for 12.10 yet.
    So much pain waiting for the day I can change the mode on the Dash from Laptop to Desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ostraaten View Post
    I HATE the mouse magnet on the middle edge with multi monitors. My left bars are always visible so the mouse magnet has no function. It SUCKS!
    Mouse magnet?
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Mouse magnet?
    I laughed when I saw that the first time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Fresh install, works fine except for the missing linux headers for ati and nvidia install. Otherwise Unity is much improved, HDMI video via VLC is smoother, everything running good.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Upgrade on my Lenovo T60 went flawless (original install dates from June 2010).
    The iwl3459 bug (very slow downloads) seems to have found a fix at last.
    Only quirk (after upgrading): sometimes the dash appears extremely slowly (takes several seconds) while the system overall reacts fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Saved a snapshop in Back In Time and upgraded from 12.04. Except minor niggles, it was pretty smooth.

1. Desktop and Login window theme were messed up post upgrade. I had to reset to Ambiance.
    2. Plugged in my backup drive. Back In Time complained backup partition does not exist. Update Manager commented out the custom mount line I had for the backup partition in /etc/fstab. Enabled the line.

I had a couple of third party apt sources for Ubuntu Tweak and Banshee. Both were commented out by update manager. I had to enable them both and updated the system. Finally ran Janitor in Ubuntu Tweak. Everything seems OK so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    Saved a snapshop in Back In Time and upgraded from 12.04. Except minor niggles, it was pretty smooth.

1. Desktop and Login window theme were messed up post upgrade. I had to reset to Ambiance.
    2. Plugged in my backup drive. Back In Time complained backup partition does not exist. Update Manager commented out the custom mount line I had for the backup partition in /etc/fstab. Enabled the line.

I had a couple of third party apt sources for Ubuntu Tweak and Banshee. Both were commented out by update manager. I had to enable them both and updated the system. Finally ran Janitor in Ubuntu Tweak. Everything seems OK so far.
    Upgrade-manager disables ppa's as part of the upgrade process. so that unneeded dependencies aren't pulled in during the process.

Ppa's were one of the main reasons that upgrades failed, before this feature was added.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just discovered my first two quirks with the Post Updated Xubuntu, both concerning GIMP.

First one, GIMP was updated from 2.6 to 2.8. Now, for some reason, zeitgeist-datahub is having a hissy fit when I reboot about every GIF file I edited with GIMP 2.6 before the update, showing a bunch of errors like the following:
    Code:
    ** (zeitgeist-datahub:2385): WARNING **: recent-manager-provider.vala:133: Desktop file for "file:///home/santafe/.themes/AntiGrey-Xfce/xfwm4/bottom-left-active.xpm" was not found, exec: gimp-2.6, mime_type: image/x-xpixmap
    Funny, it's right there, in plain sight. Fix is to re-edit every one of them with 2.8 & the error message goes away. Only 200 more to go. {sigh}

Second, apparently during the update I guess, one of the fonts got grunged. So when I was using the Text tool & scrolling up the menu (I usually use Verdana) I'd get to DroidSansEthiopic-Bold & GIMP would shutdown & Ye Old Crash Alert would pop-up. While I never use DroidSansEthiopic-Bold, it makes it hard to get towards the beginning of the alphabet with it there. Fix: I deleted DroidSansEthiopic-Bold.ttf from the /usr/share/fonts folder.

Other than that, Xubuntu 12.10 is working great. Not too shabby for a machine I've updated from 8.04 up till now.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans

Fresh install with nvidia GeForce 9400 GT gfx.
    Booted into desktop using nouveau drivers.
    The system would freeze or crash back to login screen randomly on mouse movement.
    Installed proprietary nvidia and rebooted to a dis-functional desktop.
    Stumbled on a post about purging nvidia and installing linux-headers.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    Surely they must test the install on a common gfx card before releasing.
    Why so hasty to remove unity 2d which at least is a stable fallback mode?
    I pity a new user trying 12.10 and trying to sort this out.
    You might say a new user should use 12.04, but look at the download page
    and if you were a new user which would you choose?
    Last edited by stinkeye; November 4th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Most new users don't seem to pay a lot of attention to what's on the download page, they want the latest, even if it's pre-release, as we see in the U+! (VERSION$) sub-forum all the time.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast