Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL - Get Higher FPS with Unity

Beans

TUTORIAL - Get Higher FPS on Ubuntu 12.04.1 and 12.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvveVaavj4
    Hope you found this helpful
    Last edited by FinalSlam; October 21st, 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: TUTORIAL - Get Higher FPS with Unity

If you really want a performance boost even higher, installing kde will allow your games to run even better. This is not just my opinion, but it's the results from phoronix benchmarks. In their benchmarks, running without the effects, unity was still a great deal slower than the rest. Great video though, very good for those who don't like kde or xfce.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    If you really want a performance boost even higher, installing kde will allow your games to run even better. This is not just my opinion, but it's the results from phoronix benchmarks. In their benchmarks, running without the effects, unity was still a great deal slower than the rest. Great video though, very good for those who don't like kde or xfce.
    Phoronix didn't run any benchmarks with the "undirect fullscreen windows" setting set in Compiz.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Phoronix didn't run any benchmarks with the "undirect fullscreen windows" setting set in Compiz.
    I assumed that when running unity 2d, the compiz settings were all disabled anyway? Isn't the problem that the graphics cards are rendering compiz as well as the games?
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

I myself, game in GNOME Shell. Using Unity2d my games had terrible vsync, might try this when steam comes out. XFCE ftw though.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I always assumed it was common knowledge that you should always install openbox every time you reinstall...just for gaming.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice one. Thanks for that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

wow thank you for you kind help its really nice

Beans

I don't think that this option will boost game performance in 12.04, but in 12.10 it works really good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ontaiwolf View Post
    I don't think that this option will boost game performance in 12.04, but in 12.10 it works really good.
    I'm a 12.04.1 kind of guy, and I do see higher fps on Unity 3D with these settings. I get a lower fps on Unity 2D. Kind of interesting, if you ask me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast