Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MythBuntu 11.10 (MythTV ver .024) default video format

Beans

MythBuntu 11.10 (MythTV ver .024) default video format

I am seeking how to change the default recorded video format on mythtv?

With handbrake, most my movies are about 1.5GB for a 2hr movie. MythTV records a 60 min video at 6GB.

I would like to make use of the H.264 format so my videos can be watched on my Roku without transcoding which tanks my CPU utilization on my Myth/Plex media server.

John

Beans

Re: MythBuntu 11.10 (MythTV ver .024) default video format

Via CLI: Any good suggestion finding out how to determin what video format a video file is?

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The video type is dependent on your tuner. If it's a digital tuner, then it's likely mpeg2 (and with that size/hr, it likely is mpeg2). The HDPVR is the only one I know of that records directly to h.264, for everything else, you'll need to transcode. You can set that up as a job for after recordings are done.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    The video type is dependent on your tuner. If it's a digital tuner, then it's likely mpeg2 (and with that size/hr, it likely is mpeg2). The HDPVR is the only one I know of that records directly to h.264, for everything else, you'll need to transcode. You can set that up as a job for after recordings are done.

Based on your comments, I did some looking an found the following supported on some forums...

"Since it tunes only digital signals (OTA HDTV as well as "Clear" QAM digital cable), which are already MPEG2 encoded, it has no MPEG encoding hardware"

That being said. You suggested I can setup a Job. I know where the 4 job fields are. Assuming thats what your talking about. Do you have an example job I could try? I have installed ffmpeg an mplayer2 already. Unsure if it was needed.

Thanks,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't transcode myself, so the best I can do is point you here

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_cron_job

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    I don't transcode myself, so the best I can do is point you here

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_cron_job

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode
    Hey, thanks. The transcode cron job seems like a good solution. I will look into whether I can add that to the jobs field so it can be ran after video creation.

Anyother thoughts anyone?

John

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnfm3 View Post
    Hey, thanks. The transcode cron job seems like a good solution. I will look into whether I can add that to the jobs field so it can be ran after video creation.

Anyother thoughts anyone?

John
    Yep, save yourself a lot of time and trouble and get a bigger hard drive. Transcoding to h.264 will tie up a lot of resources and take ages, for something you are probably going to watch and delete. It is also prone to error. Take a look at the mythtv-users mailing list and a good percentage of the posts are about people whose transcode jobs have failed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Yep, save yourself a lot of time and trouble and get a bigger hard drive. Transcoding to h.264 will tie up a lot of resources and take ages, for something you are probably going to watch and delete. It is also prone to error. Take a look at the mythtv-users mailing list and a good percentage of the posts are about people whose transcode jobs have failed.

Thanks for your comment. Saddly, thats not an option for me. I have to many Roku's for my kids an the video cant play on them without the machine transcoding. An that results in bogging down the machine even more. I have 5 kids, an now 4 roku's. When more than 1 of them trys to view a video where the machine needs to transcode (which is almost every video), the Myth Server crys.

I know I need a new machine with more HD, proc, an ram abilities. But for the short term, I need to setup transcoding for these roku's that I am going to keep till I can upgrade to AppleTV.

Your post also makes me ask another question...
    Can I transcode an save the video in another dir an leave the Original File in place till confirmation of successful conversion?

John

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnfm3 View Post
    Via CLI: Any good suggestion finding out how to determin what video format a video file is?

John
    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -i IronMan.mkv 
    [...]
    Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'IronMan.mkv':
      Metadata:
        creation_time   : 2008-10-22 06:43:30
      Duration: 00:01:48.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4141 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 115:87 DAR 1840:783, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
        Stream #0:1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
    For more detailed information about the input try ffprobe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -i IronMan.mkv 
    [...]
    Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'IronMan.mkv':
      Metadata:
        creation_time   : 2008-10-22 06:43:30
      Duration: 00:01:48.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4141 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 115:87 DAR 1840:783, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
        Stream #0:1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
    For more detailed information about the input try ffprobe.
    Thanks. Will try that when I get home.

John

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast