Thread: Some Gnome apps get "KDEzed" after installing KDE

Beans

Some Gnome apps get "KDEzed" after installing KDE

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity as my default and original desktop environment, and I have added the KDE desktop environment to the system recently. Since that, some apps (Firefox, Chromium, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, as far as I've noticed) have changed their internal decoration (controls, colours, even sometimes the mouse cursors), different to the rest of GTK apps originally included or installed into the Unity desktop environment. It's like if this apps has been 'forced' to use qt instead of gtk to decorate them.

I can assume that this behaviour can or must be normal in KDE native apps (Amarok, Konqueror...), even ran at Unity desktop environment (for instance, if I select the Oxygen theme in KDE, these apps are shown with the same effects under Unity), but, what about that independent apps that were originally installed into the Unity environment? Is there a way to force them to be drawn as the rest of the apps, whith the gtk decoration engine?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Some Gnome apps get "KDEzed" after installing KDE

It's been some time, but I recall a GTK/Gnome option within the Apperances setting widget that might need to be turned on.

Beans

The Appearance menu in Ubuntu 12.04 has only a few options... Now it doesn't allow you to change separatedly all the theme elements like controls, icons, etc. You can only select a theme, and I've the default Ambience chosen.

There is no option to force the system to use GTK/Gnome or something like that, as far as I know.

I've tried also with apps like MyUnity, Unsettings or Ubuntu Tweak with no results. There must be some package available to switch on/off qt4 under Gnome, I guess... but I'm afraid I'm lost at this point.

Can you be more specific, please?

Beans

I realized that not only some apps are using the KDE decoration, but most of the Unity environment is 'contaminated'.

If I open gcalctool, for instance, and do a right-click over its main textbox control (that which displays the results), the pop-up menu is drawed with the Unity theme:

But, if I do a right-click over the window titlebar, the pop-up is shown in the KDE selected theme (in this case, Ozone):

I don't want to use the same themes in KDE and in Unity/Gnome... it's supposed to be easy to get uniformity in each desktop environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have had a lot of trouble with classic, gnome, xfce , and kde interfering with each other. I keep trying something that will keep me as happy as gnome 2 but hard to compare when they don't stay separate

Beans

UPDATE: the problem with the windows decoration is PARTIALLY solved. I've:

renamed ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
    renamed ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
    deleted all subfolders under ~/.config/ relative to KDE or the Oxygen theme.
    uninstalled al gtk-oxygen* packages present on the system (I thought they were already gone).

At this moment, al Mozilla apps and the LibreOffice suite have return to its normal appearance and the contextual menus of all apps have been restored to the nice and default Ambiance Unity theme.

The only remaining issue I've noticed at this point is the scrollbar in every apps (even the distro's natives like gnome-terminal or nautilus). It's not the typical minimalistic orange scroll bar of Unity, buf a conventional (although stylish) scrollbar. I'll keep trying to solve this, but any further help is welcomed, of course.

Thanks!

Beans

At this moment, I've got the overlay scrollbars running in a few apps. The major part of the system is using the old fashioned scrollbars, although I've tried with several possible solutions to restore the overlay -Ayatana- scrollbars.
    In any case, I think that the main question of the topic has been solved, and mark this thread like that. I'll open another one more specific with the scrollbars issue.
    Thank you!