Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless connection troubles

Beans

Question Wireless connection troubles

Hi, a few days back after some struggling. I managed to install Ubuntu 11.10 on my 2010 13' Macbook pro 7,1. I'm very new to Linux and entering commands through Terminal. I don't know how to search for wireless networks so, I added it into the wireless connections. But I don't know how to get my BSSID/SSID or MAC device number, I think it's called. So I tried getting onto the internet with an Ethernet cable. When I plugged it in it still wouldn't make a connection. Then I had noticed it said firmware missing by all the connection/wireless information. I have already used a looootttt of google to no avail . Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless connection troubles

Let's see what kind of wireless card you have and we'll find some firmware. Please open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    That pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

You may need the linux compatible driver for your network device. You could try a google search
    using your device name driver linux

Beans

Chili555 unfortunately I don't have the laptop right now and I wont for another 4 hours or so. So just please keep this thread in mind, because as soon as I get it later today i'll do what you said and let you know.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nagantman View Post
    Chili555 unfortunately I don't have the laptop right now and I wont for another 4 hours or so. So just please keep this thread in mind, because as soon as I get it later today i'll do what you said and let you know.
    I'm subscribed, so I'll get an email when you reply. I'll look forward to your result.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Alright chili I just got my laptop back. My wireless card is BCM4322.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nagantman View Post
    Alright chili I just got my laptop back. My wireless card is BCM4322.
    That's not what I asked for. Please see post #2.

Beans

After putting in that command line
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    this is what came up in Terminal- 02:00.0 Network controller [0290]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01). Bear with me like I said I am new to this.

Beans
    Distro

Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b]
    Your device needs:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Do you have a working ethernet connection? If so and if you can get connected, this will be quick and easy. If not, we have a big job ahead of us.

If it's not working, let's try to see why:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200

Beans

I tried an Ethernet cable the other night and it didn't work.
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1684] (rev 10)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast