Thread: How to add a user to a group (GUI)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to add a user to a group (GUI)

Title says it all; OS is standard Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I had a close call today where I removed all groups from my administrative user account while using usermod; I managed to revert the changes back but it was close to a disaster. Reason for using usermod was that could not find a way add a user to a group while using system settings -> user accounts.

So where is the hidden option in system settings -> user accounts that I'm looking for? Or is there a decent GUI utility for user management?

PS
    I'm convinced that older versions (10.04, 8.04 and 6.06) had the option easily accessible in the 'user accounts' utility.

PPS
    After posting this, I saw http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074218 which is basically the same question.
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; October 21st, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to add a user to a group (GUI)

Also answered in the linked post, but install gnome-system-tools for the good Users and Groups app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to add a user to a group (GUI)

OK, thanks for that. I guess I have to find a way to incorporate it in the gnome-control-center (if I don't want it from the dash).
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.