Thread: A close call (usermod -G)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A close call (usermod -G)

Nearly borked my system this morning trying to help a user here.

I ran usermod -G www-data wim to add the only adminstrative user to the www-data group. This wiped all additional groups that the user was a member of (including sudo) Luckily I checked, and because sudo remembered the password and I did not close the terminal yet, I could correct the situation.

Close, very very close.

The correct command is, by the way, usermod -aG www-data wim
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Re: A close call (usermod -G)

yes I've started to use/recommend using gpasswd (which adds the user to the group) instead for that exact reason

Code:
    gpasswd --add wim www-data

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I will try to remember that command

It would, by the way, not have happend if there would have been an obvious way in system settings -> user accounts to simply add / remove users to /from groups. There might be a way but I simply did not see it.

Will make another thread about that.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could also install gnome-system-tools, then run users-admin to get the old Users & Groups interface back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

privilege separation

www-data usually shouldn't contain any regular users. It is reserved by the http server for privilege separation so that parts of it can run unprivileged.

Beans
    Distro

Re: privilege separation

gnome-system-tools is now installed; currently researching how to integrate it in gnome-control-center (if at all possible).

And I know it was not the optimal solution to make a user a member of www-data; the final solution for the problem was therefore also different.