Thread: Flash does not work - 12.04

Beans

Flash does not work - 12.04

Hello!

Originally I had several Internet/performance problems which I described in this thread. Now all the other ones are solved, but the issue with Flash remains, and I thought it is more convenient to start a new thread in the appropriate subforum. With the search function I didn't find any other description of this.

So, I have a problem with Flash videos, such as in Youtube, despite having the correct plugins. The flash screen doesn't appear at all, while at the same time the computer seems to be working heavily. Below is a screenshot and a more detailed description. I have tried different browsers to no effect. Also I remember trying the open source flash plugins, which worked neither.

I will quote the relevant posts from the previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by paranat

---
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikewhatever
    "... ...
    PS: Which model of Nvidia graphics card is there?

As for flash, first, it doesn't have hardware acceleration on Linux, but even if it did, it wouldn't apply to old hardware. Troubleshooting flash sound also seems irrelevant, unless of cause, there are sound problems. Try turning off Transmission, as it can use a lot of bandwidth, and thus interfe with streaming videos.
    PS: To find flash settings, right click inside a flash video window.
    "

---

I installed the Lubuntu desktop and switched it on from the login window. It's much better now, nearly no lag at all. General sluggishness solved!

Now the only remaining problem is with flash. I'm using a Geforce 6600 GT graphics card. It's rather old - bought some seven years ago, I think. Flash doesn't work even when Transmission is off. The problem clearly has nothing to do with bandwidth.

Here's how it looks when I try to load a Youtube video:

This is all that happens. As you can see, there's no "loading" type of message at the bottom of the browser screen. However, the computer seems to be doing something all the time when on the page (the memory keeps making its sounds and the system slows down). There seems to be no flash window at all at the blank spot, since no menu appears when right-clicking on it.

Edit:
    To clarify, the package that I have installed is "ubuntu-restricted-extras", since I'm using a 32-bit system. I also tried "flashplugin-installer", but there was no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver
    Hmmm... that's not a flashblock plugin icon at the top right of your browser window by any chance?

Another thought is you might want to see if there's a specific lubuntu-extras - I seem to remember it making a difference on Xubuntu whether I chose xubuntu-extras or plain ubuntu-extras (I don't remember the details sorry - just a note in the back of my mind)
    The icon is for a plugin called Flash-aid. It's supposed to solve conflicting flash plugin installations. I tried it to no effect.

I installed lubuntu-restricted-extras, which made no difference.

I also installed this collection of packages and rebooted, which also made no difference.
    Last edited by paranat; October 21st, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Flash does not work - 12.04

I had a similar issue with Kubuntu.
    couldn't play flash video and any quick time video's.
    gave up and re installed Ubuntu.
    I know that's no help but
    I believe flash is being or has been pulled for Firefox / the latest android "jellybean"

have you tried chrome as i believe that has flash built in.

wish i could help more
    best of luck.
    yes i'm a nood

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What adobe flashplayer plugin release have you installed?
    Last edited by claracc; October 21st, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Confusion about one addon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    What adobe flashplayer plugin release have you installed?
    I have the package "flashplugin-installer" version "11.2.202.243ubuntu0.12.04.1".

I also have installed the latest version of lubuntu-restricted-extras and ubuntu-restricted-extras. I already tried removing all but lubuntu-restricted extras in order to remove conflicts, but it made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshirt9
    I had a similar issue with Kubuntu.
    couldn't play flash video and any quick time video's.
    gave up and re installed Ubuntu.
    I know that's no help but
    I believe flash is being or has been pulled for Firefox / the latest android "jellybean"

have you tried chrome as i believe that has flash built in.

wish i could help more
    best of luck.
    I just installed Lubuntu desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 in order to make my system faster... The same Flash problem was in Unity desktop.

I tried Chrome and Chromium. Now there appears a Flash window and the computer does not work endlessly, but in the Flash window it says "Plugin download failed" and in the upper edge of the browser window "Plugin Shockwave Flash could not be downloaded".

Beans
    Distro

As you have the lovinglinux addon flash-aid, I will try to install an older flash player plugin, I would say http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...63_archive.zip, through the custom way of flas-aid.

As your graphics card is old, perhaps, it doesn't support the flash player plugin 11.2 series but the previous one 11.1.102.63.

Be aware that you are assuming security risks running old flash player plugins.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    As you have the lovinglinux addon flash-aid, I will try to install an older flash player plugin, I would say http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...63_archive.zip, through the custom way of flas-aid.

As your graphics card is old, perhaps, it doesn't support the flash player plugin 11.2 series but the previous one 11.1.102.63.

Be aware that you are assuming security risks running old flash player plugins.
    !!!

!!!

It worked!

I would have never believed! Thank you! Now I must be careful not to update it!

All three of my original problems are now solved! Wonderful! Imagine -- I beared with these problems for 8 months until I bothered to ask for help here, and now within a few days everything is fixed!
    Last edited by paranat; October 25th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You are welcome.

Glad you got fixed your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Thank you, claracc!

I had this same problem in Ubuntu 12.04 on a 32-bit machine with an ATI RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] where the flash plugin version 11.2 wouldn't work, but reverting to version 11.1 fixed the problem.

(FYI, a similar thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12358003 )
    Here's a koan for you: "I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now."

Beans
    Distro

You are very welcome.

Beans

how can i do this without flash-aid