Thread: 12.10 and WINE: Crackling and Popping in Sound

Beans

12.10 and WINE: Crackling and Popping in Sound

Hi, Everyone...

I looked around quite a bit before posting this issue in Wine regarding static, popping, and crackling in Windows games sound, which, prior to my very recent installation of 12.10 (upgraded from 12.04), ran beautifully all the way around.

The WINE (v. 1.4.1) configuration window no longer allows a switch to another sound option (alsa); also, winetricks (at least when I select sound=alsa option) doesn't even seem to make a change to alsa (so I don't know whether that works).

I am running a core duo w/ 4 GB RAM.

Thanks so much to anyone reading and replying... C.
    Last edited by casparov; October 21st, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.10 and WINE: Crackling and Popping in Sound

Have you tried the latest 1.5.x wine from the ubuntu wine PPA? It has winepulse patches that hopefully fix audio problems.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Re: 12.10 and WINE: Crackling and Popping in Sound

Tweak...

Thanks so much for your reply--I just found your post now (two weeks late; I rely on e-mail notification for a reply and don't recall anything).

I did install 1.5x and it DID fix the sound issue; HOWEVER, it defaulted nearly all my games to a fixed 480 x 640 resolution, which revealed only part of the complete screen image.

Oddly, a couple of games worked flawlessly, but, at least, 80% were plagued w/ the resolution problem.

Do you--or does anyone else good enough to read this post--have any idea how to solve the graphics problem in 1.5x? (I reinstalled 1.4.1 and the crackling sound issue is back in spades.)

Thanks, again... Casp