Thread: possible to change GNOME unity GUI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

possible to change GNOME unity GUI?

Hi,

about 2 months ago, I finally did the upgrade from Ubuntu lucid to Ubuntu 12.04 Precise with its spiffy, new Unity GUI.

Unforunately, after trying to get to grips with it and trying to keep an open mind, after said 2 months, I still really, reeeeally dislike it. There are so many things that just make me want to bite my desk in frustration. But this isn't a bashing thread, far from it. I am sure the designers put a lot of good work into it, it just isn't for me.

Now the question: Is there a good way to switch back to the old gui? Will this still be supported?

or alternatively, is it unproblematic to switch to e.g. KDE? Is it possible to run into trouble with other software already installed?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: possible to change GNOME unity GUI?

The classic desktop is still available. Install gnome-panel.
    Also, you can try out KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc. Just install plasma-desktop, xfce4, lxde-core respectively. Generally you should not run into any trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    The classic desktop is still available. Install gnome-panel.
    Umm...I don't think just installing gnome-panel is enough. Install gnome-session-fallback.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Also, please note that Unity and Gnome are not the same thing. Pre-Natty, Ubuntu came with Gnome by default. (Gnome 2, to be exact.) Natty-forward, it comes with Unity instead.

Of course, the current version of Gnome (Gnome 3) is very different from the "classic desktop", and you might like it.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome
    The --no-install-recommends will prevent it from automatically installing extra gnome apps that aren't really part of the desktop environment, like evolution, gnumeric, abiword, etc.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

moved to desktop environments
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Umm...I don't think just installing gnome-panel is enough. Install gnome-session-fallback.
    FYI, it's the other way round for 12.04:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...89&postcount=4

gnome-session-fallback for 11.10 and gnome-panel for 12.04, which includes dependencies that are not pulled in by gnome-session-fallback.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    It is the same, installing gnome-panel is enough and simpler.

Here you have an excellent thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370 to install and configure your gnome classic without effects desktop, similar to the gnome 2 one and supported by ubuntu.
    Last edited by claracc; October 21st, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Hey thanks for all your replies.

This leaves me with one last question that is in the same vein:

You guys mentioned gnome-panel etc., but zombifier25 also mentioned KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc.

Now, is the gnome-panel classic desktop a "lasting" option or is it likely to be abandoned any time soon with no support? Obviously I ask this, so that I don't install this and half a year down the line need to look for a new option yet again.

Thanks a lot again.

@sandyd: Thanks for moving it. I don't post here particularly often and thought it fit best in the beginner's questions (because that's what I am with regards to ubuntu)

@all: After all your answers I realised that my initial question has been asked before. I apologise for this, but it would appear that I didn't use (or know) the correct search keywords (such as "classic gnome") and only found threads with ways to tweak the existing gui

---------------------------------

*sigh of relief* Having followed the advice above, in particular thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370, I was able to revert back to the original view without problems.

This is almost like when I was 15 years old and still living at home. One day, I would come back and my mother rearranged all the furniture in my room, because she felt like it. Thankfully, there is a happy ending this time
    Last edited by Nebelhom; October 21st, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos, apologies and additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

well if you use 12.04 classic as I do it has support for 5 years so a long time before you have to worry about it disappearing

Beans
    Distro

@cmcanulty: Thanks for the info. That is indeed still a bit off

Cheers!

Beans

I was in the same boat as you when I upgraded to 12.04. I loved Gnome2 and had been using it for years. I eventually made my way over to Gnome3 and with some modification, I find I now prefer it over the previous Gnome. I still have a pseudo-Gnome2 options available by loging into Gnome Classic.

Check out the following page and look under the "Gnome" section. It describes how to make Gnome3 usable.

http://www.foxswap.com/computers-and...-ubuntu-12-04/