Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspend breaks on 12.10's kernel

Beans

Re: Suspend breaks on 12.10's kernel

OK, I tried the above, and unfortunately, it did nothing. Apparently, my system isn't using the nouveau drivers. :O

I don't know what to try now. Something with Ubuntu's kernel doesn't work well with my laptop. If you google "apportcheckresume", and limit the date range to, say, the past week, you'll see that some other people are having the same problem.

Thank you for help; hopefully the developers will fix this soon

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

after blacklisting you have to reboot for it to be applied
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kli6891 View Post
    Good to know I'm not the only one having this problem .
    Have you tried the mainline kernels I linked in the first post to see if that fixes your problem?
    Where did you point to? May be i've overseen something.

As a subscriber of a bug (in the context of powerpc testing regarding ubiquity) i was pointed to this site:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Mainl...ernels_Archive

But when i tried to install i got an error:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2-generic_3.7.0-030700rc2.201210201535_amd64.deb

dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von
    linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2-generic:
     linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2-generic hängt ab von
    linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2; aber:
      Paket linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2 ist nicht installiert.

dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2-generic
    (--install):
     Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
     linux-headers-3.7.0-030700rc2-generic
    Please keep in mind, i'm a simple user not a "coder" . . .

Beans

I tried with kernel 3.6.0-030600-generic (x86_64) but no luck: The problem remains exactly the same.

[EDIT]: And same goes for 3.6.3 . I think, with that flavour of kernels i won't have luck. We'd someone who creates a patch or who finds out some other workaround. In any case: To NOT have suspend-to-ram (at least, if not suspend-to-disk) on a potable is ridiculous . . . (
    Last edited by Farinet; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

what hardware are you using
    i did not use the 3.5 kernel much, but i do not recall having suspend problems on either of my systems
    they are both amd + nvidia
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

A Samsung 535 u3c with 2xAMD A6-4455M APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics

8GB ram

Beans

Just an add-on:

I did an upgrade to 12.10 on a SamsungNetbook (150P - atom processor = i386 version) and there standby works (hibernate is deactivated but somewhere on a ubuntu help site i remember i saw how it could be reactivated). Anyway, so this problems seems to touch only certain kinds of machines . . .

Beans

Nice news, at least for me: Looking for a possibility to (re)establish the functionality of Fn-keys on my Samsung "googling" around i found this site:

http://openideals.org/2012/04/15/tun...ries-7-laptop/

I installed the ppa and the samsung-tools package (the samsung-laptop package did not exist, at least for met) and although it seems conceived for another model of Samsung laptop the tools work for me.

After the installation first i realized that the fonts were magnified (i had to reduce from 11 pt to 9 pt to return to the previous situation but ok) but on the other hand, i gained control over wifi, bluetooth and fan by Fn-keys and settings. And, HEUREKA, now, at least i'm able to use hibernate (suspend-to-disk) and can turn back awakening wifi by Fn+F12.

And after i installed the proprietarian - as far as i understand it - Radeon driver (fglrx + associated; found in synaptic) there is also Standby (suspend-to-ram). Moreover the blown-up fonts are reduced to the normal way.

So far, on the Samsung all fine (but frankly, i do not understand, why this isn't this way by default).
    Last edited by Farinet; October 24th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

I can suspend but cannot resume, I press a key and it powers up and hangs there, the keyboard is then non-resposive, ie num-lock don't work ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dgharmon View Post
    I can suspend but cannot resume, I press a key and it powers up and hangs there, the keyboard is then non-resposive, ie num-lock don't work ...
    I have exactly the same problem (on a Samsung 535 - amd64) with all kernels higher than 3.2. With the standard Debian kernel of testing (3.2) suspend and resume works.

I'm not a technician, asked around here and there, tried to install other graphic card drivers (the not-free amd ati driver) but to no different result. I also tried to install different distributions (lubuntu, debian, crunchbang) but it's always the same, unfortunately.

I suspect it's something in the kernel, but very likely it's only a very few persons suffering this problem so no one cares . . .

Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast