Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Select desktop environment not working - Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Select desktop environment not working - Ubuntu 12.10

Please anybody knows where is stored default desktop environment used within login screen to click on "select desktop environment"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Select desktop environment not working - Ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by masuch View Post
    Please anybody knows where is stored default desktop environment used within login screen to click on "select desktop environment"
    I havent' tried it but maybe you can change the options here to start your preferred desktop:

/usr/share/xsessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Canaryguy View Post
    I havent' tried it but maybe you can change the options here to start your preferred desktop:

/usr/share/xsessions
    thanks , fine to know.

Beans

Well, I found out what the problem was. It sounds really stupid hahaha.

Well, I had installed different desktop environments so when I logged out to use one of them I saw the list but I couldn't see the OK button because my screen is not big enough (I'm using a netbook). I thought I had just to click on the desired desktop enviroment but, as Nick Payne said, you also have to click on the OK button (which it was not displayed).

Well mystery solved.

Thank you guys for your help.
    I m having the same problem (have a small screen because of which can't see the OK button) can u please tell me how did u get to the ok button??? how were u able to see all the desktop environments on that small screen???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by yogeshthegenius View Post
    I m having the same problem (have a small screen because of which can't see the OK button) can u please tell me how did u get to the ok button??? how were u able to see all the desktop environments on that small screen???
    I couldn't see all of them. I uninstalled Lubuntu Desktop and KDE Desktop and kept only Ubuntu and Gnome Shell. But I think you can move amongst the options using the Tab key until you think you have reached the correct one and then Enter and then continue pressing the Tab key until you reach the OK button which is the last option and Enter. Well, I hope they fix this error for small screens. For now that's the only solution I can give you now.

Beans

Did you installed different desktops? I did and when I was going to choose one of them I couldn't see the OK button because there were too many options.

You can use the tab key to move through the options and Enter to select it.
    Thanks I could figure it out.... I blindly got to OK and pressed enter which worked

Beans

Thanks I could figure it out.... I blindly got to OK and pressed enter which worked
    I'm not getting an OK no matter what. I'll keep trying, but I probably need to uninstall soomething.

Beans

I'm not getting an OK no matter what. I'll keep trying, but I probably need to uninstall something.

Beans

Smile Re: Select desktop environment not working - Ubuntu 12.10

OK I got it now. I had to tab TWICE to get to the invisible OK. There was yet another desktop environment I wasn't seeing even before the OK. Sure wish there was a better fix for this, although I am grateful for having gotten this far.

Edit #1
    OK So I'm trying different desktops now, but it seems that after using XFCE I now have a permanent nice login screen that has a dropdown for all the different desktop environments...and they all FIT and there's an nice, easily visible "SUBMIT" button to press after you put your password in. I seem to have lost the guest account, but who cares at this point?
    Last edited by zlot; November 18th, 2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Addition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123