Thread: Difference Between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Difference Between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10

Title says it all. Is it worth upgrading? I've seen some people say it is a little slower.

It'll be installed on a low end Sony VAIO VGN-FZ430E
    Intel Core 2 Duo @1.83GHz
    3.00 GB RAM
    Onboard Intel HD Graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Difference Between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10

Hello and Welcome

I don't upgrade but do install the latest releases (my choice). If you are happy with your current setup don't bother because 12.04 will be supported much longer than 12.10. Each new release comes with the latest Ubuntu modified kernel so that is a reason some upgrade or change releases. The newer kernel sometimes includes features people need.

Although upgrades work fine for some users you don't have to look very hard on the forum to find numerous problems associated with them. Old familiar programs often disappear with each new version. If you have 12.04 PPAS chances are many won't work in 12.10 and the same is true for themes because 12.10 uses Gnome 3.6 and 12.04 uses 3.4.

See the link for changes http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/u...12-10-released
    “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks for your input. I ended up installing without a hitch, and everything works. I don't see any major difference in speed, it's about the same. But, as long as I'm running Ubuntu, I'm happy!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you , Frogs Hair for the advice, this helps me when considering the myriad of
    choices available, also regarding the updates, yes many issues in this forum on problems
    with updates, I did update 12.04 to 12.04.1, no problems, but no benefits that are
    noticeable either.