Thread: Dash Search Results -- *local* music and photos not showing?

Beans

Dash Search Results -- *local* music and photos not showing?

So, while I make up my mind how I feel about the Amazon results being in the dash, I'm also making a concerted effort to use the dash as more than just an application launcher. A lot of folks seem to be liking it more and more, but I've essentially been using it as nothing but a gigantic replacement for gnome-do ever since Unity arrived.

As a result I have noticed --

The photo and music lenses don't show my photos and music. The music lens gives me online search results, but none of my local music. The photo lens gives me nothingat all.

Now, as I have home on a separate partition, the contents of those folders are copied from the old version of my home folder, which was renamed prior to doing a fresh install of 12.10. I thought maybe this had caused an odd permissions issue, but even after fixing the permissions of the subfolders to match that of the top level Music and Pictures folders, I get nothing.

However, there's plenty there that should be showing up.

My music collection is rather small compared to some, at 12.8GB, but that's still a lot of files. I have a local copy of ALL of our family photos in my Pictures directory, at about 400GB -- and no search of any kind from the dash pulls up anything, ever.

So I'm feeling kind of embarassed that I can't figure out what the problem is. Curious if anyone else has seen similar? Beyond my check of the permissions, I don't even know what to try....

Beans

Re: Dash Search Results -- *local* music and photos not showing?

Some lens search local folders like the Video lens. Others only show what's been imported into certain apps

Music lens will show only local files imported into rhythmbox & or banshee
    (there may be 'scopes' avail. for other players

Photo lens will show all photos imported into shotwell, plus some online stuff, don't do that here
    (Description - A plugin to browse your photos from Shotwell, Flickr and Facebook in the Dash.

Beans

Re: Dash Search Results -- *local* music and photos not showing?

Ah OK then. So it sounds like the lenses are working as intended, and the problem is that I misunderstood the intent.

Thanks!!