Thread: Herky-jerky sound in Audacious

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Herky-jerky sound in Audacious

Recently my playing of mp3 music has become herky-jerky in Audacious. I am running 12.04LTS 64bit. Everything was working fine until about a few days ago when there were some updates. Music played fine and there were no problems but then this business started.

At first glance, I think it might be buffering of the data from the mp3 files. Any ideas? Along with this problem, I also notice that even typing in from the keyboard also seems to have this jerky performance (like when I am typing this response).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Herky-jerky sound in Audacious

I'm running the same version of 12.04 and Audacious, Rhythmbox and VLC play fine.

However the new Nicotine+ 1.2.16 version is now running jerky for me. The old 1.2.14 version ran fine and stable. Trying to figure out how to go back to 1.2.14 to see if it will run better than 1.2.16 but am getting nowhere.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsaylr View Post
    I'm running the same version of 12.04 and Audacious, Rhythmbox and VLC play fine.

However the new Nicotine+ 1.2.16 version is now running jerky for me. The old 1.2.14 version ran fine and stable. Trying to figure out how to go back to 1.2.14 to see if it will run better than 1.2.16 but am getting nowhere.
    OK, I tried something. Before I was running 12.04 under Gnome Classic. I know tried running it under Gnome Classic (no effects) and it seems to be running fine. Even my typing here is not jerky. Methinks it has something to do with "effects". I don't run the Unity GUI since I don't find it all that helpful and seems to be to much fooling around to yield very little in benefits. That is why I switched over to Gnome Classic. However, up until one of the latest updates a few days ago, everything was find under Gnome Classic.

I don't know how committed you might be to your GUI, but you might want to try Gnome Classic (no effects) and see if improves your version of Nicotine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Unity seems to run OK for me.

Nicotine 1.2.16 runs fine on a couple other laptops I recently installed 64 bit 12.04 on.

Nicotine ran OK for me till putting a SSD on my desktop. Then 64 bit 12.04 was installed on that SSD and all runs fine so far except Nicotine 1.2.16 for some reason and it seems difficult to go back to Nicotine 1.2.14 which ran great.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. Jerky sound with Audacious. No problem with VLC.

I'm using 12.04 Precise Gnome Classic (No Effects), but its a custom build with no Unity or Compiz.