Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better alternative to GIMP

Beans

Re: Better alternative to GIMP

Last I checked GIMP had some limitations that limits its use by professionals. There is no support for PANTONE® colors, which are encumbered with intellectual property claims. Specifying colors by PANTONE® code is pretty crucial for print work. There is also no native support for the CMYK color model.

Most people who post on forums like this saying there is no difference between GIMP and Photoshop probably have only used these programs to create or edit electronic images. The print world is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Like the OP, I find the new differentiation in the File menu between Save (meaning .xcf) and Export (everything else) annoying. It is inconsistent with most GUI designs where the filetype determines the format as was the method in 2.6. I really don't see the value in changing it. I also liked having a tool's options open automatically in the lower half of the toolbox. Now there's a message about drag-and-drop there, but I cannot get it to work for me. If I double-click a tool, it opens the options in a separate window. I've tried dragging that window onto the toolbar to no avail. If anyone has a quick answer to this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll do some research.

I think I might compile v 2.6 in /usr/local, so I can run both versions.

Edit: Not as easy as it looks. I've again encountered versioning problems with GEGL.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 12th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The print world is a whole 'nother ballgame.
    That's a problem I'm running into, Gimp being an example. It seems to me that professional lookint preparation for print is sorely lacking with Linux in general.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Print has never been that great in Linux, and if you're doing prints I'd probably stay with the industry standard which is Photoshop. There's krita if you like painting. Linux to me has a long long way to go before it's ready for the desktop, print is just one example that needs serious work, gfx being the second. Lightworks will be great once it's completed, the alpha was alright but not there just yet, the windows counterpart is runs awesomely and is what I use for video editing so I can't wait for the full version on Linux! I think once Linux has more of a marketshare I'd love to see some professional applications like Photoshop just to name one land in Linux, and along with pro audio creation and editing software.
    Last edited by Rukiri; May 13th, 2013 at 03:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm looking particularly at text printing with photos and diagrams, as in a self-published paperback. I can do everything in Linux except convert the finished manuscript to PDF/X-1a:2001. Only Acrobat distiller does this, apparently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    I'm looking particularly at text printing with photos and diagrams, as in a self-published paperback. I can do everything in Linux except convert the finished manuscript to PDF/X-1a:2001. Only Acrobat distiller does this, apparently.

Are you sure you need PDF/X? Won't PDF 1.4 (supported by Scribus) do the trick?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Are you sure you need PDF/X? Won't PDF 1.4 (supported by Scribus) do the trick?
    Unfortunately, yes. I'm looking at self-publishing a book through Lightening Source. They require manuscripts to be submitted in PDF/X-1a:2001. I read somewhere that Scribus 1.5 is supposed to do this, but it's still in the testing stage. When I get to that point I may download it to see what I can do, but I'm not exceptionally geeky so I doubt I could tell a bug from user error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I'm looking at self-publishing a book through Lightening Source. They require manuscripts to be submitted in PDF/X-1a:2001. I read somewhere that Scribus 1.5 is supposed to do this, but it's still in the testing stage. When I get to that point I may download it to see what I can do, but I'm not exceptionally geeky so I doubt I could tell a bug from user error.
    Ok, I'm no expert on this issue, but according to wikipedia PDF/X-1a:2001 is based on PDF 1.3 with the addition of "blind exhange and Spot colours." Anyway, have a look at this, perhaps there is a way around your problem?

http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/pdfx-3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Ok, I'm no expert on this issue, but according to wikipedia PDF/X-1a:2001 is based on PDF 1.3 with the addition of "blind exhange and Spot colours." Anyway, have a look at this, perhaps there is a way around your problem?

http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/pdfx-3
    Dry Lips, thank you for the link! I'm no expert either and have been scouring the internet on this issue, so all leads are welcome. I noted that the article you linked to differentiated between PDF/X-3 and PDF/X-1a. I know that PDF/X-1a:2001 has something to do with CMYK for color, which is required for print, as opposed to RGB for the web.

I also know that Lightning Source uses Adobe software for their print set-up and requests that documents sent to them be prepared in Acrobat Distiller (which only comes packaged with Acrobat Professional versions 6 and up) for the PDF/X-1a:2001 format.

I am definitely looking for workarounds, as I would love to do this with all open source. For this first time, though, I may break down and go with Adobe. It's been an amazing learning curve, and the first time at least, I want to get it right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good luck, then!

And yeah, Adobe's products have many features that you don't get in open source software. But they are expensive, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

GIMP works great for me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast