Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better alternative to GIMP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Better alternative to GIMP

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Good luck, then!

And yeah, Adobe's products have many features that you don't get in open source software. But they are expensive, though.
    Thanks! I found an old version on Amazon for $80. I have an old computer running XP, so it will only be used for that. I'd still love to be able to do it all on Linux. Maybe someday!
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Interesting discussion ... but gimp has been good enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Good luck, then!

And yeah, Adobe's products have many features that you don't get in open source software. But they are expensive, though.
    If my understanding is correct, the new Adobe subscription model might be a boon in this situation. One could just pay for 1 months' usage. I'm not clear if one would need to purchase software initially, or if it's all downloaded and the only cost is the monthly subscription.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... I'm an amature photographer who shoots mainly landscapes and some portraiture.
    I usually use Aftershot Pro (Linux edition) for all my RAW work, then pass it to Gimp to make any cosmetic changes, ready for print.

I think that there are a few quirks that need to be settled within Gimp, but the print quality for me is outstanding. So, am I missing something here?

For me, I'm a great supporter of the underdog. I question why most in my profession insist on paying an exorbitant amount for software that, in the main, Gimp and Aftershot Pro can do adequately for a mere fraction of the price. Sure Photoshop may have a few more features that some would use regularly, but for me I would use them so infrequently that it would be near impossible to justify making the purchase.

Secondly, I have a pretty profound sense of fairness, and as a result I refuse to support any software company that blind-sides Linux. If it's good enough to support Windows and iMac, then it's good enough to support Linux too. Especially for a corporate giant like Adobe!

Just my two cents...
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I use Aftershot pro and gimp on a regular basis. I can tell you exactly why professionals are reluctant to use them. Try taking 75 photos in one setting where light and color will be consistant throughout. Then start editing with Aftershot, you can pull up one image get it looking good and copy your settings to all the others so that you don't have to look at each individually. All is well so far. Now you come to an image that needs more work so you want to export to gimp. You can use jpeg but you are going to start losing quality if you do, or you can use tiff its lossless. No if you use tiff you lose color control because you have to take your image down to 8 bit color. You really don't want to go down to 8 bit because you put a lot of effort and money into buying gear to color manage your process from camera to monitor to printer so that your prints have spot on color. So you have to get over it. You get done and you decide to print 50 of the 75 images. Gimp prints real well. One at a time. Open an image, print an image, close an image, repeat. No professional will spend the time it takes do the job with gimp. I could print with AfterShot. Well after the last update I lost printing in Aftershot. But before I lost it there were a few problems. It did print very well and you could batch print, saving time and improving work flow. The thing is the problems, select your papersize, no option for the very common 4x6 size, just use a6, no the system does not realize a6 and 4x6 should be interchangable so none of your 4x6 ratio photos from your expensive DSLR will fit without being cropped. You can pick a custom paper size, but you have to do it twice, once when set the print in que and once again when you click print you have to choose it for your printer. If that was not enough you will soon find that when you are done printing the first photo in the batch the que will stop because you have to enter the custom paper size again. AfterShot not only does not remember settings from one batch to the next it does not remember them from one photo in a batch to the next. (it works fine in windows). Did I mention that your output will not be centered and will have an offset border even when printing borderless. The only program that i have found that will allow you to easily and quickly select and print (centered on the paper) is picasa. You just have to put up with 300 dpi prints only. I really enjoy using Ubuntu, I hope picasa 3.9 does not stop running under wine because I would not be able to print 4x6. I have tried countless programs to print photos in linux and none really work satisfactorily. Most will not center photos on the paper for bordered printing, most will not automatically interface with your printer driver like windows programs. I am not trying to be negative, I am a user of Ubuntu and Gimp and ASP. Printing photos in Ubuntu is just not supported in a manner that could be called ready for mainstream.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No doubt about the power of Gimp, but the UI is frustrating to use for even simple tasks. The Help is not very much help! I frequently have to Google how to do even a simple task. I use it maybe 10 times/month, just long enough apart to forget how I performed a task before. As for UI, early Paint Shop Pro (circa 1994-95) was great. Easy to see how to perform easy tasks, yet the powerful stuff was there in the background.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234