Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better alternative to GIMP

Beans

Question Better alternative to GIMP

Hi Ubuntu Forums,

I've been a long time Ubuntu fan. I like Ubuntu 12 so far, although I've had to switch to Gnome classic.

I really used to like the GIMP program however the new changes are really annoying. The save and export feature is driving me insane.

Its really difficult to change brush sizes. I miss the old version.

Is there a free alternative to GIMP? I need a relatively fast program which has some decent features

I've tried MyPaint and find it frustrating that you cannot zoom in using the mouse wheel. Ideally I'd like to install the old version of GIMP found in Ubuntu 10 but I really don't know how.
    Last edited by SpeedGonzales; October 20th, 2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Problem has been solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Better alternative to GIMP

Personally I think GIMP is the most decent.

If you want an alternative, Pinta is pretty good. It's supposed to be a clone of Paint.NET, one of the best image manipulation tool for Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Pinta +1
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Smile Re: Better alternative to GIMP

Thank you, I'm installing Pinta now. I'll let you know how I find it.

Beans

Smile Re: Better alternative to GIMP

Thank you so much kc1di and zombifier25!!!!

Pinta is spot on, its exactly what I've been looking for. Now I can get back to my creative projects. I'm very happy.

Beans

Just to add: Krita is excellent for digital painting (it's in the default repo). It's like a free Corel Painter (it even has a drag-pen-to-resize-brush ala PS/Painter/Artrage... you know, 'cause pressing L/R brackets to change brush size is horribad). For pure editing though, we're all stuck with GIMP.

Beans

Hello everybody,
    i like to ask for your help please , how /where do i get any old version of GIMP the new one is a nightmare for me and i have try to get used to the export and save new way but i cant i just cant and is in UBUNTU that is has become specially corrupted or mixed up or i just dont know what is going on,
    i have re-installed many times but nothing is just a mess ,

please how do i get any old version prior to the last big chance.

i thank the people who work hard on the new format but i just not working for
    me
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGonzales View Post
    Hi Ubuntu Forums,

I've been a long time Ubuntu fan. I like Ubuntu 12 so far, although I've had to switch to Gnome classic.

I really used to like the GIMP program however the new changes are really annoying. The save and export feature is driving me insane.

Its really difficult to change brush sizes. I miss the old version.

Is there a free alternative to GIMP? I need a relatively fast program which has some decent features

I've tried MyPaint and find it frustrating that you cannot zoom in using the mouse wheel. Ideally I'd like to install the old version of GIMP found in Ubuntu 10 but I really don't know how.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't get your picture what's wrong with GIMP. I've been using it for a while and can loudly state "Who needs Photoshop anyway?" Everything you can do in Photoshop you can do with GIMP. You'll get the same results, it only requires a little bit more effort, but in the end it's worth it and you're just more proud.

Photoshop is designed the way that it does most things for the user and in the end you'll end up asking "who did that? was it the artist, or the program?" Sorry, but that is just lame.

Soon you'll be able to command those programs with your voice. Will that still make you an artist?
     Cloud Gamer | NVIDIA's GeForce NOW is the future of gaming ☁️

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I believe in a few versions gimp will be much better than Photoshop (it is much faster, and a much more attractive price), however currently it is immediately below it (especially from a usability standpoint). It really could benefit from gimp specific GUI layout themes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Always looking for something different in the way of photo editing, thanks to all
    for the input.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast