Thread: lubuntu 12.10 reboot issue

Beans

Exclamation lubuntu 12.10 reboot issue

Hey guys,

I recently registered with the forum so please feel free to correct me on errors.

I recently downloaded & installed lubuntu 12.10 i386 via flashdrive. The install itself went flawless but have encountered an issue: Whenever I install an app and reboot the system, my PC hangs on boot. I get nothing displayed, but the monitor is still on; does not go into sleep mode. The numlock indicator on my keyboard is lit, but does not react [on/off] upon pressing the numlock key. I installed numlockx in terminal, I installed firefox browser and in both seperate cases the boot hangs. I can't seem to install any additional apps at the moment for fear that my rig won't reboot.

Anybody else encountered this problem with their fresh install?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: lubuntu 12.10 reboot issue

ginmardo84; Hi Welcome to the forum.

That situation is one I can not fathom as it freezes only on installing a new app//

look at any errors that may be generated from dpkg and apt-get.
    Terminal (ctl+alt+t)commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    as a place to start troubleshooting. If any errors post them back here.
    try'n to help <==BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ginmardo84 View Post
    I recently downloaded & installed lubuntu 12.10 i386 via flashdrive. The install itself went flawless but have encountered an issue: Whenever I install an app and reboot the system, my PC hangs on boot ...
    Please provide your hardware specs (CPU, RAM, graphics card, anything else that may be of interest.)

Also...
    Why did you reboot after installing an app? It's usually not necessary.
    When do you reboot? Is it immediately after installing the app? Or do you use the app for a while?
    Mind sharing the names and sources of these apps?

And, no, I don't have this problem and don't remember seeing anything similar being reported.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Please provide your hardware specs (CPU, RAM, graphics card, anything else that may be of interest.)

Also...
    Why did you reboot after installing an app? It's usually not necessary.
    When do you reboot? Is it immediately after installing the app? Or do you use the app for a while?
    Mind sharing the names and sources of these apps?

And, no, I don't have this problem and don't remember seeing anything similar being reported.
    Sorry about that. i forgot to mention that I am running Lubuntu 12.10 on an old Dell PowerEdge-400SC server. CPU: Pentium 4 with HT, 2048 DDR memory, 30GB SSD, NVIDIA 6200LE GPU.

I know that its usually not necessary to reboot after installing an app, but I do that from after some time. This happened when after Firefox install.

In LXTreminal
    [sudo apt-get install firefox]
    [sudo apt-get install numlockx -y].

Browsed for a while and rebooted the system. My monitor is active, but there just isn't anything displayed [black screen]. Keyboard & mouse don't seem to respond.

Any ideas? I hope I have provided sufficient info for the time being.

Beans

What about free space on your disk? Do you have enough? And is swap being used a lot?
    Do you have two separate problems, one relating to numlock and the other to installing apps? I'm asking because you mentioned installing numlockx.
    People more familiar with graphic cards may drop by and comment if that could have anything to do with your problem.

Also, have you been running any Linux OS on this rig before without problem? If yes, which one(s)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    What about free space on your disk? Do you have enough? And is swap being used a lot?
    Do you have two separate problems, one relating to numlock and the other to installing apps? I'm asking because you mentioned installing numlockx.
    People more familiar with graphic cards may drop by and comment if that could have anything to do with your problem.

Also, have you been running any Linux OS on this rig before without problem? If yes, which one(s)?
    I do have enough free disk space available.

It is just one problem, it simply occurred after installing an apt after the clean install. After installing numlockx, the PC would reboot and than hang at the GRUB boot menu. I tried it a second time but this time with firefox installed and did the same thing. It either doesn't display anything [blacked out display] or it shows the GRUB menu to select the installation to boot, but the keyboard does not respond at all.

Up until yesterday I was running Lubuntu 12.04 successfully with NVIDIA's 304.51 drivers installed, had plymouth configured so that I don't get those ugly vertical black/white stripes upon boot. Added restricted extras to the software resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    ginmardo84; Hi Welcome to the forum.

That situation is one I can not fathom as it freezes only on installing a new app//

look at any errors that may be generated from dpkg and apt-get.
    Terminal (ctl+alt+t)commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    as a place to start troubleshooting. If any errors post them back here.
    try'n to help <==BDQ
    Hi Bashing-om,

Thanks for the input. I just ran the update and upgrade in terminal. Some packages were added at upgrading. Nothing outta the ordinary. Perhaps it might be a GPU issue. Encountered that in my previous Lubuntu version. But that was merely cosmetic.

Currently downloading and installing NVIDIA propriety-tested driver to enable. See if and how it will affect the performance.
    Last edited by ginmardo84; October 20th, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It is just one problem, it simply occurred after installing an apt after the clean install. After installing numlockx, the PC would reboot and than hang at the GRUB boot menu. I tried it a second time but this time with firefox installed and did the same thing. It either doesn't display anything [blacked out display] or it shows the GRUB menu to select the installation to boot, but the keyboard does not respond at all.
    Hi ,

so the "damage" here caused by the installation of numlockx ?

Firefox I doubt if has any relation with the boot - hang problem.

Did you try to remove the numlockx ?

If you cannot boot neither from the grub -> Recovery mode , then boot from a LiveCd-Usb and chroot to the partition with Lubuntu root / and remove the numlockx.

From the LiveCD-USB session:

Open the lxterminal and do
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and see in which partition is Lubuntu installed , we assume now its /dev/sda2 partition (if you are not sure , give the results of the command here).

Then do
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo chroot /mnt
    sudo apt-get remove numlockx 
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt
    Then run one more time the boot-repair program and finally reboot your system.

Beans

Smile Re: lubuntu 12.10 reboot issue

Guys,

thanks for the reply but I doubt that the no-display on reboot has anything to do with the Lubuntu 12.10. I think the fact that I installed it on a server, made wuite a difference.

It runs flawless, with the exception of some bugs which can be solved all in good time, on a more current rig:
    core2duo e7200 cpu
    4gb ddr3 memory
    30gb ssd
    geforce 8500 gt gpu

Apparently running desktop OS's on servers might prove some significant operational behaviors.

I have registered with Ubuntu launchpad also for submitting eventual bug reports.

Tho I haven't spent time on looking into the issue I posted -instead running Lubuntu 12.10 on another rig-, I still thank you all for your time and input.

Regards,
    ginmardo84
    Last edited by ginmardo84; October 21st, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Guys,

thanks for the reply but I doubt that the no-display on reboot has anything to do with the Lubuntu 12.10. I think the fact that I installed it on a server, made wuite a difference.

It runs flawless, with the exception of some bugs which can be solved all in good time, on a more current rig:
    core2duo e7200 cpu
    4gb ddr3 memory
    30gb ssd
    geforce 8500 gt gpu

Apparently running desktop OS's on servers might prove some significant operational behaviors.
    Your machine is not older than mine: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=152

If you like, I'm here and ready for help